Texas Hunting Forum

Young County Turkey

Posted By: HogNut

Young County Turkey - 04/05/21 03:02 AM

Any reports on Turkey hunting in Young? I am going next weekend and couldn't be more jacked up to get in the woods!
Posted By: huntingbig8

Re: Young County Turkey - 04/05/21 05:00 PM

Should be good, we hunted just north of Graham sunday, called in a big jake that got a pass, hunted western side near Murray this morning and killed a 2 yr old bird. We have seen big mature birds every hunt but very much still with groups of hens, hopefully will be broken up a little more for you by next weekend.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Young County Turkey - 04/05/21 07:42 PM

Sw graham. Every gobbler I have seen has been with lots of hens and not responding to calls. Mostly silent too. Though I do admit I have not been trying that hard to hunt them and doing other stuff on the lease. As huntingbig8 said, it will get better or easier to call them soon. Same pattern as most every year.
Posted By: jrfan

Re: Young County Turkey - 04/05/21 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper John
Sw graham. Every gobbler I have seen has been with lots of hens and not responding to calls. Mostly silent too. Though I do admit I have not been trying that hard to hunt them and doing other stuff on the lease. As huntingbig8 said, it will get better or easier to call them soon. Same pattern as most every year.

I think you are correct. Although, I couldn't kill a spring turkey in a meat market, I hunted most of the day Saturday and never heard/saw one. I do have what you describe on most cameras though. I am west of Newcastle.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Young County Turkey - 04/05/21 08:19 PM

Same here near Murray. Gobblers with big groups of hens on my place. Mostly silent.
Posted By: HogNut

Re: Young County Turkey - 04/21/21 06:04 PM

Well, the second weekend of spring gobblers showed many opportunities. One large tom and another jake were taken, and a total of 11 turkeys presented themselves to us, but damn they are resilient birds. We arrived at the lease around 6. A buddy and I decided to sit in a stand to scout and see if we could locate some birds. We parked the side-by-side by about 250 yards from a feeder, and there was a tank of a hog that my buddy took with his 300 blk out from 100 yards. All I saw was the tail twitching, and I second-guessed myself thinking maybe that was a cow roflmao . We left the pig and continued to the stand we originally planned on sitting to scout. We turned a corner down a trail, and a hen was roughly 30 yards from us. We stood for what seemed like an eternity but was probably a minute or two, and she wised up and booked it. Once we got to the stand, we started calling, and the hens were in the area and putting back at us. I then spotted two hens coming directly behind us, and then my buddy saw a tom at full strut coming straight for us. This turkey was chasing after the hens and at full strut walked directly under the stand we were sitting in. I took the bird at about 8 yards from the stand and damn near blew his head off. One of the most exhilarating hunts I have been on in my life, spring gobbler hunting might be my new favorite hunts! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Young County Turkey - 04/21/21 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by HogNut
Well, the second weekend of spring gobblers showed many opportunities. One large tom and another jake were taken, and a total of 11 turkeys presented themselves to us, but damn they are resilient birds. We arrived at the lease around 6. A buddy and I decided to sit in a stand to scout and see if we could locate some birds. We parked the side-by-side by about 250 yards from a feeder, and there was a tank of a hog that my buddy took with his 300 blk out from 100 yards. All I saw was the tail twitching, and I second-guessed myself thinking maybe that was a cow roflmao . We left the pig and continued to the stand we originally planned on sitting to scout. We turned a corner down a trail, and a hen was roughly 30 yards from us. We stood for what seemed like an eternity but was probably a minute or two, and she wised up and booked it. Once we got to the stand, we started calling, and the hens were in the area and putting back at us. I then spotted two hens coming directly behind us, and then my buddy saw a tom at full strut coming straight for us. This turkey was chasing after the hens and at full strut walked directly under the stand we were sitting in. I took the bird at about 8 yards from the stand and damn near blew his head off. One of the most exhilarating hunts I have been on in my life, spring gobbler hunting might be my new favorite hunts! [Linked Image]

Congrats cheers
Posted By: twdjr

Re: Young County Turkey - 04/25/21 02:39 PM

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum