Texas Hunting Forum

Turkey Numbers in Callahan County

Posted By: Ricochet83

Turkey Numbers in Callahan County - 03/31/21 06:06 PM

So my lease mate and i picked up a new lease off 880 about halfway between Putnam and Moran. We are mostly using it for a dove lease and planted native sunflower on a 12 acre field back in January. However the land owner said that he has had the property for about 30 years and used to have good numbers of turkeys on the property as well as quail. However over the past couple of years he hasn't seen any. But to be fair he doesn't run cameras and only has been out there 3-4 times a year to piddle around. He says he thinks it is because of the hogs and we have seen alot and seen some very large hogs out there so that may be the case. I was just curious if anyone hunts in the area or close by what their turkey numbers look like and even their quail numbers for that matter.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Turkey Numbers in Callahan County - 04/10/21 02:30 AM

Seen the exact same thing. Quail and turkey have been almost non existent. I've been actively trying to keep predators in check over the last few months. During the last couple of weeks I've seen a total of 6 turkeys in probably at least a 3/4 of a mile area. Granted there is probably many more but the numbers have definately declined. I think its a combination of predators and the drought. I have been actively trapping coons and coyotes on my place and have noticed a few turkeys coming back. Nothing like in years past though! I will continue to take out as many predators including hogs hope for rain and maybe things will improve. Any turkey consumed by my family will be store bought until they bounce back.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum