Texas Hunting Forum

Not gobbling

Posted By: Jiggamitch

Not gobbling - 03/27/21 05:37 PM

I have tried hunting some public land for the last 2 seasons, but I cannot get these turkeys to gobble. I see their tracks, and have seen the birds, so I know they are there. Last year one shock gobbled, but that's it. I've tried just sitting and listening, owl hooting, crow call, and multiple different turkey calls. I've only seen one other hunter out there, so what gives? Some birds just don't gobble?
Posted By: 2flyfish4

Re: Not gobbling - 03/27/21 05:46 PM

The tactic i use in this senerio is to find a spot the birds normally are. Camp out there all day, call a lonesome hen yelp every 15-20 minutes. Nothing aggressive, sit and wait, and hopefully a tom shows up. I've shot a number of birds this way, they come in silent so be on alert as they never gobbled.

Not the most exciting way to hunt turkeys but it will work if your in the right spot at the right time.
Posted By: JMalin

Re: Not gobbling - 03/28/21 01:56 PM

How early do you get out there? Even pressured birds typically do some gobbling on the limb before flying down.

Re: Not gobbling - 03/28/21 11:14 PM

Long before sunrise. Hour and a half before sunrise this last Saturday because I want to beat other hunters.
Posted By: don k

Re: Not gobbling - 03/29/21 03:38 PM

They are gobbling here now. This morning I honked the horn and they would gobble.
Posted By: chehunt

Re: Not gobbling - 04/05/21 10:38 PM

They were talking in Burnet this past weekend.

Re: Not gobbling - 04/05/21 10:48 PM

I'll go give it another shot.
Posted By: claypool

Re: Not gobbling - 04/11/21 01:33 PM

Probably with hens, sometimes they don’t gobble much if already with hens.

Re: Not gobbling - 04/22/21 07:15 PM

Got a turkey to gobble and I called him in from several hundred yards. He got to 100 (could see him) and refused to budge. After 45 minutes he bailed. 😭 I guess it's better than not even hearing one.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Not gobbling - 04/23/21 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jiggamitch
Got a turkey to gobble and I called him in from several hundred yards. He got to 100 (could see him) and refused to budge. After 45 minutes he bailed. 😭 I guess it's better than not even hearing one.

Working a Tom that's gotten "hung up" is what separates the men from the boys when it comes to turkey hunting. They get wary when they can't see the hen they've been hearing, which is why a decoy hen can sometimes make the difference. I like to switch over to soft purrs for close-up work, which sound better on a slate call IMO.

Re: Not gobbling - 04/23/21 05:56 PM

Well this is my 3rd year turkey hunting and my 2nd using a mouth call. I tried soft calling, but he wasn't buying it. Maybe I'll have it down in a few more years.
Posted By: okiehuntr

Re: Not gobbling - 04/25/21 07:05 PM

No more gobbling here in SE ok. All paired up.
okie
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Not gobbling - 06/28/21 05:09 PM

All out
© 2022 Texas Hunting Forum