Texas Hunting Forum

Turkey gun for grandson; maybe

Posted By: mikei

Turkey gun for grandson; maybe - 12/20/20 10:17 PM

https://www.savagearms.com/print?a=print_spec_sheet&i=19253

I bought this little feller with the idea of giving it to my grandson for his first turkey hunt. I took it out and patterned it, using #6 shot, and was quite impressed. Using a "turkey head" target, shooting off hand, and using the front bead sight, at 15 yards, the gun put 70+ pellets in the "kill zone." At 25 yards, it put 17 pellets in the zone; and at 35 yards it place 10 pellets in the zone. The gun is designed to shoot the Titanium Steel Shells that will not deform when passing through the extra-full choke. I've got some of the recommended TSS loads on order, but since each of them is $6, I won't be doing a lot of patterning with them. Sure is a nifty little gun! A real hoot to shoot. Maybe what I'll do is wait and give it to my great grandson who just turned 3 years old. That way he'll get a nice, carefully broken in shotgun to use. . .
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Turkey gun for grandson; maybe - 12/20/20 11:29 PM

Nice
Posted By: Jstocks

Re: Turkey gun for grandson; maybe - 12/21/20 03:58 AM

Tungsten shot is available from a semi custom company called foxtrot ammo. He has a couple of loads that would pattern really good out of that gun.
Browning, Apex, and Federal all make TSS loads that can be bought from the big box stores.

Re: Turkey gun for grandson; maybe - 12/21/20 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jstocks
Tungsten shot is available from a semi custom company called foxtrot ammo. He has a couple of loads that would pattern really good out of that gun.
Browning, Apex, and Federal all make TSS loads that can be bought from the big box stores.

Thanks, Jstocks. I have been able to find the TSS shells; I just can't find some I can afford! Doggone stuff is expensive at around $6 per shell, so I'll tune it up with lead shot and then take a couple of verification shots with the TSS to see how much the pattern will change.
Posted By: Clark8907

Re: Turkey gun for grandson; maybe - 12/21/20 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by mikei

Thanks, Jstocks. I have been able to find the TSS shells; I just can't find some I can afford! Doggone stuff is expensive at around $6 per shell, so I'll tune it up with lead shot and then take a couple of verification shots with the TSS to see how much the pattern will change.

It's a lot cheaper to reload it yourself and quite easy. Then you can always ensure every load is done the same and it will give you and your grandson something to do together.

Re: Turkey gun for grandson; maybe - 12/22/20 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Clark8907
Originally Posted by mikei

It's a lot cheaper to reload it yourself and quite easy. Then you can always ensure every load is done the same and it will give you and your grandson something to do together.

Clark8907, I reload for many different rifle and pistol calibers, and if I thought I might become a high volume shooter of the .410 bore shotgun, I wouldn't hesitate to get what I needed to reload for it. But what I'm thinking is that I'll be using it once or twice during the turkey seasons (assuming I do my part), using maybe 5-6 shells per year; 10 at most. Just doesn't make much economic sense to add the clutter required to begin reloading for the .410. That may change if I find that I'm pumping lots of rounds through it and need the TSS penetration power, but I will wait and see before I jump into it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum