Texas Hunting Forum

Skunked This Spring Season

Posted By: 11-Bar

Skunked This Spring Season - 04/20/20 04:08 PM

Went to our property in Lavaca county twice this year and got skunked. Saw hens, heard lots of gobblers, but couldn't get 'em to come to me. I was hoping to get one to mount. Last year I started doing bird taxidermy and so far have only done ducks. Since I wasn't able to get one, if anyone has one, or gets one this Spring season, and would like it mounted I'd do it for just the actual material cost. If interested let me know, you can see some of my duck mounts in IG at jc.braswell.3
Posted By: TexasSlam18

Re: Skunked This Spring Season - 04/22/20 03:10 PM

I sent you a message on instagram.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Skunked This Spring Season - 04/22/20 07:38 PM

I was up north of Baby Head visiting at a friend's place. Brought all o' my turkey gear. Went scouting up the creek and late in the afternoon, I came across a place with pecan trees over some springs. Those trees were just loaded with turkeys. Not believing my good fortune, I backed out to set up in the AM. Ran into the ol' man who asked what I had been doing. I'll never forget it when he queried me, "You found turkeys where?".

Got out early enuff with all the drunkards still sleeping it off. Set everything up, saw all them turkeys and began making soft calls soon after day break. Heard gobbles behind me, but the birds in front of me held tight. That is until it warmed up some and they started taking off right towards the incline where I was perfectly set up on. My heart started pounding and then when a turkey would have landed, the birds flapped their wings and took off. I had set up on a buzzard roost.

I got skunked also. I'll bet ol' man Broyles still laughs about it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum