Texas Hunting Forum

Callahan County

Posted By: papa45

Callahan County - 04/19/20 04:01 PM

I hunt in eastern Callahan County and have not seen a turkey on our lease since last Spring. We usually have lots of them through deer season, but not one this past season. Haven't seen or heard anything on two trips this month. Strange. Anyone else hunting eastern Callahan or western Eastland County having any luck?
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: Callahan County - 04/19/20 04:52 PM

Had a bunch around this fall but only seen tracks this spring and no gobbles but the weather has been crap on the days that we hunted.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Callahan County - 04/19/20 07:30 PM

They are social distancing because of possible lead contamination. clap
Posted By: glocker17

Re: Callahan County - 04/19/20 11:33 PM

Western half of the county is loaded this year, I don't recall seeing them like this in the past.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Callahan County - 04/21/20 01:54 PM

They must have migrated west. Haven't seen or heard in Southeast Stephens Co but agree weather has been crap and inconsistent.
Posted By: MClark

Re: Callahan County - 04/23/20 03:51 AM

I was supposed to hunt a ranch in the SE corner of Callahan County but because of the Chinese virus I have not gone yet.
My friend the land owner has been send pictures of turkeys in the field by the house.
He hadn't seen any for months and beginning of April they showed up.

M
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: Callahan County - 04/24/20 07:36 PM

up
Posted By: MClark

Re: Callahan County - 05/08/20 02:55 AM

Well everything worked out for the best. Hunt was delayed a month due to travel restrictions.

Made it to the ranch near Cross Plains. Yesterday I saw a couple of hens, was in a ground blind and one walks by at 10 feet. Pretty cool to watch.

This morning I'm out to where the land owners saw gobblers yesterday a short walk from the house. As soon as walk out the he door I hear turkey gobbling. As I go through the gate the cattle get up and are walking calmly ahead of me supplying cover. When I get to as close as I dare I put a decoy out, sit under a bush while the cattle continue to the waterhole. I called twice and a Tom is coming up the cattle trail, at 40 yards I fire.
Federal TSS #9 12 gauge 3". Stoeger 20" Coach Gun modified choke.

I use the coach gun because it has screw in chokes and in one side I have made a 30-30 insert barrel just in case a hog visits.

M
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Callahan County - 05/08/20 03:20 AM

Good to hear; congrats! FWIW, we have quite a few birds (definitely more than most years) SE of X-Plains; they don't get much pressure on our place though.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Callahan County - 07/26/20 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by MClark
Well everything worked out for the best. Hunt was delayed a month due to travel restrictions.

Made it to the ranch near Cross Plains. Yesterday I saw a couple of hens, was in a ground blind and one walks by at 10 feet. Pretty cool to watch.

This morning I'm out to where the land owners saw gobblers yesterday a short walk from the house. As soon as walk out the he door I hear turkey gobbling. As I go through the gate the cattle get up and are walking calmly ahead of me supplying cover. When I get to as close as I dare I put a decoy out, sit under a bush while the cattle continue to the waterhole. I called twice and a Tom is coming up the cattle trail, at 40 yards I fire.

I use the coach gun because it has screw in chokes and in one side I have made a 30-30 insert barrel just in case a hog visits.

M

up
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Callahan County - 07/26/20 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by colt45
Originally Posted by MClark

M

up

X2
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum