Texas Hunting Forum

hunting in the rain

Posted By: diamond10x

hunting in the rain - 03/18/20 01:41 PM

how do turkey react to rain? I would assume just like any other animal, as long as it isn't a down pour and just a light rain/drizzle makes no difference?

The south opener is calling for rain on Saturday and sunday both and a bit worried it'll be over before it starts.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: hunting in the rain - 03/18/20 01:50 PM

Wet weather usually mean turkeys head for open fields to dry out. They do have a tendency to stay on roost longer and can be less receptive to calling or traveling through wet underbrush or grass.

I may just delay the start of the season a few days. Hunting out of a blind or in a rain suit doesn't really fit my style and who wants to handle a soak and wet gobbler. I'm in it for the full enjoyment of the hunt. Guess I'm not as mad at them as I used to be.

The caveat to that may be this Corona virus issue and how it may ultimately effect travel in TX.
Posted By: jadkins

Re: hunting in the rain - 03/18/20 02:55 PM

Nothing uglier than a soaking wet dead Tom.
Posted By: Gulfgoose

Re: hunting in the rain - 03/18/20 05:50 PM

With everything going on right now I still plan on hitting it probably Sunday. Where I hunt looks like rain all the night before and there's a hay meadow close to the roost I'd expect them to head to. Not expecting much gobbling but who knows.

Can't kill em on the couch!
Posted By: Clark8907

Re: hunting in the rain - 03/18/20 08:43 PM

I will be there rain or shine. If its a drizzle it shouldn't affect them much if at all. THey still may congregate around or in fields. If it is a heavy rain I have always seem them kinda bunched up in fields not really doing anything. Once it stops though they will being their usual turkey routine.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum