Texas Hunting Forum

Turkey population

Posted By: TKandMike

Turkey population - 02/05/20 01:56 PM

What's everyone seeing in terms of population of birds? We're planning our annual spring hunt in west Texas, and numbers appear to be way down, haven't seen a bird in months.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Turkey population - 02/05/20 03:02 PM

I've seen quite a few in Young County close to lake Graham and around that area. They are still working on the pecans.
Posted By: Lakhota

Re: Turkey population - 02/05/20 04:48 PM

The last time I was at my lease in Runnels county in January I had a group one day that had about 75 birds and another day the group was probably close to 100. We always have turkey however the last couple of years they seemed to be more spread out.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Turkey population - 02/06/20 12:09 PM

Based on landowner reports, my southern birds (Bee County) are holding steady. If the number of jakes I saw last year is any indication, my northern birds (Stephens County) should be a bumper crop of toms this year.

Re: Turkey population - 02/06/20 01:46 PM

We saw a ton of jakes last year and no sightings of them in the last few months.
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Turkey population - 02/06/20 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by TKandMike
What's everyone seeing in terms of population of birds? We're planning our annual spring hunt in west Texas, and numbers appear to be way down, haven't seen a bird in months.

Where are you hunting ?? How far west ??? We are seeing a crap ton of birds out near Aspermont, but then again, we usually always do. Saw 2 different groups of toms that had about 25-30 in each group and yes I know it was 2 different groups because I saw them at the same time on different sides of the pasture I was watching. Lol. There was a lot of long bearded birds in the groups. We also saw 2 flocks of hens with 100-150 birds in each flock. Looking like a banner year this spring.
Posted By: RedRaider13

Re: Turkey population - 02/11/20 03:58 AM

Looks like a slightly above average year on my place in Taylor county. My feeder cameras a showing a flock of 60-70 hens. Couple groups of jakes with 8-12 birds, and a group of toms with 8.

Re: Turkey population - 02/11/20 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Booner1

Where are you hunting ?? How far west ??? We are seeing a crap ton of birds out near Aspermont, but then again, we usually always do. Saw 2 different groups of toms that had about 25-30 in each group and yes I know it was 2 different groups because I saw them at the same time on different sides of the pasture I was watching. Lol. There was a lot of long bearded birds in the groups. We also saw 2 flocks of hens with 100-150 birds in each flock. Looking like a banner year this spring.

Hunting just south of Post, TX.
Posted By: papa45

Re: Turkey population - 02/11/20 04:13 PM

Hunting near Putnam, Callahan County. Have not seen a single bird since last Spring. Very strange. In the past, we always saw them during deer season.
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Turkey population - 02/13/20 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Booner1

Hunting just south of Post, TX.

You are not much more than a hour or so west of Aspermont and we are seeing a ton of birds. Not sure about the rainfall in Post but there has been an abundance this past year around Aspermont and it does impact the birds without it. Looks like there was a good hatch this last spring as there are a bunch of young birds as well.
Posted By: drycreek3189

Re: Turkey population - 02/14/20 02:06 AM

We hunt N of Post in Crosby Co. and the landowner sent me some pics a couple weeks ago of a large group of turkeys. Looks like we’re eating turkey again !
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum