Texas Hunting Forum

Thunder Chicken Down

Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Thunder Chicken Down - 04/01/19 01:44 PM

Saturday morning went out despite the howling wind and cold temps. Not a gobble to be heard, not that I could hear much on account of the wind anyway. Set up on the edge of a wheat field running alongside a deep creek bed. Made some calls but didn't ever hear anything in return. About 7:30 my praying paid off and I spotted a red head pop up out of the creek bed. Pulled out the binoculars and confirmed it was a tom! He quickly walked out to the corner of the field about 35 yards away looking for ladies. I was concerned to take the shot because I had forgotten to switch chokes after duck season. Not seeing what he was looking for the Tom quickly turned back to drop down into the creek bed and escape the wind. It was now or never and after the trigger pull I saw him flip and flap. Despite the weather it was a great morning resulting in my first Throckmorton Thunder Chicken! Just continues to remind me, no matter the weather you can't killem from the couch.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hawk

Re: Thunder Chicken Down - 04/01/19 03:22 PM

Congrats! Nice bird!
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Thunder Chicken Down - 04/01/19 04:45 PM

Nice, I couldn' t locate one in the cold win but beats staying home. Congrats!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Thunder Chicken Down - 04/01/19 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by hawk
Congrats! Nice bird!
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Thunder Chicken Down - 04/01/19 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by hawk
Congrats! Nice bird!

cheers
Posted By: jadkins

Re: Thunder Chicken Down - 04/01/19 06:30 PM

I hoping one day I find a spot where I can kill them from the couch...until then...gotta go run and gun.
Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Re: Thunder Chicken Down - 04/01/19 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by jadkins
I hoping one day I find a spot where I can kill them from the couch...until then...gotta go run and gun.

roflmao

Thanks guys!
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Thunder Chicken Down - 04/01/19 09:47 PM

Congrats on a nice bird
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Thunder Chicken Down - 04/01/19 10:17 PM

clap
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Thunder Chicken Down - 04/02/19 02:24 AM

PoppinPiggies,
Good job Saturday. I was closer to Eliasville and had the same wind. It was brutal on the downwind side of a big wheat field.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum