Texas Hunting Forum

I may try to turkey hunt this year

Posted By: Gringocazador

I may try to turkey hunt this year - 02/05/19 08:39 PM

I've had a few turkey's on my cell cam by one of my feeders. I had pics of hens an Jakes almost everday for 2-3 weeks. Pretty sure feeder ran out of corn, no more pics, but I have Turkeys in the area. I had 4-6 almost every afternoon up until about 2 weeks ago.

I have hunted from Africa to Alaska and inbetween but I have never turkey hunted. My plan is to get a few decoys a couple of calls and read learn all I can.

Also a good excuse to buy me an Electric Bicycle, makes a lot less noise than that dang loug hunting buggie and my 4wheeler.

I need to figure out the ground blind situation. Along with should I try to bow hunt or shotgun. Not sure where to start on the calls either/which one or ones to buy.

Thanks, Billy
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: I may try to turkey hunt this year - 02/05/19 08:49 PM

I find the box calls easiest to use. I have an old Primos heartbreaker that I love...however, you can make a wider array of sounds, and better sounds if you can master a diaphram. With shotgun, I don't use a blind. I spend too much time chasing them for that.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: I may try to turkey hunt this year - 02/05/19 09:07 PM

Keep those feeders filled from now until the start of the season. You need to keep the hens coming and the toms will follow. If the birds nest on your property, they should stay close.

Here's a good site for info from experienced turkey hunters: http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php

Good luck, and be ready to get hooked. Nothing more exciting than having a big tom come strutting in to the call.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: I may try to turkey hunt this year - 02/05/19 11:00 PM

I've shot them with a bow, rifle, and shotgun. It's fun however you get after them. Like Gamblinman said, keep the feeders filled and it'll drastically increase your odds.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: I may try to turkey hunt this year - 02/06/19 05:18 AM

We keep 3 to 4 feeders going. Set them to 9 to 10 am and 3 to 4 pm. Keeps the turkeys around for sure. We don't necessary hunt over a feeder though. They pick it clean in minutes anyway.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum