Texas Hunting Forum

Turkey patterns

Posted By: WatersFowler

Turkey patterns - 04/16/18 07:27 PM

Hey guys,

I have killed my share of turkey over the years, but have never really considered their patterns. I just go out and call and shoot the ones that come to decoy. This past weekend was high winds and cooler weather and the birds didn't make a sound. Do they go under when the wind is high? Or can I assume that the strutting period has ended on my Clay County lease? Just curious because I have never really thought about what makes a turkey turn it on or off like weather can affect a whitetail deer. Thanks for your help.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Turkey patterns - 04/16/18 09:05 PM

This weekend should be great up there. They strut into May. Looks like rain part of day Saturday. Hopefully wind isn't blowing. If it is, you hope a decoy works or you intercept. They can still hear though.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Turkey patterns - 04/18/18 02:05 AM

They gobbled for me but couldn't get them in with the wind. I feel like I should have sought out a more protected area.

Always next week.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Turkey patterns - 04/18/18 02:34 AM

Supposed to be sloppy Saturday. Ug.
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: Turkey patterns - 04/19/18 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: WatersFowler
Hey guys,

I have killed my share of turkey over the years, but have never really considered their patterns. I just go out and call and shoot the ones that come to decoy. This past weekend was high winds and cooler weather and the birds didn't make a sound. Do they go under when the wind is high? Or can I assume that the strutting period has ended on my Clay County lease? Just curious because I have never really thought about what makes a turkey turn it on or off like weather can affect a whitetail deer. Thanks for your help.

Hunted Oklahoma opener in the COLD temps and HIGH winds. Very little gobbling activity. We found tracks and set up along them and killed the only gobbler we saw the whole trip.

I've had GREAT success with Easterns setting up on Strut Zones and Dusting Bowls. When they didn't cooperate early I would go set on a zone or bowl around 9-10am, drop a hen right in the middle and yelp two or three times every 10-15 minutes.
Posted By: OffCoor1

Re: Turkey patterns - 04/20/18 04:02 PM

I killed one yesterday in Archer Co. that had 6 hens w/him----at 10:30 AM. IMHO, we are still early---I don't think all of the hens are nesting yet. That is good news, because if this weather will ever stabilize, I believe that the gobblers responding to calls will last all the way up until the end of the season. Just my 2 cents. Thanks, and Good Huntin'
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum