Texas Hunting Forum

Turkey Hunting must haves

Posted By: Gulfgoose

Turkey Hunting must haves - 03/29/18 06:26 PM

I'm pretty green (extremely green) in the turkey hunting world. 21 years of waterfowl experience but finally getting to go chase turkeys next weekend in Lasalle county for the first time.

What are some of the things that you guys recommend I really need to have? Picked up a primos bombshell call, have a gun and choke for it, a couple old cheap decoys, and getting some new shooting sticks. What am I missing that I really really need? TIA
Posted By: maximum

Re: Turkey Hunting must haves - 03/29/18 06:36 PM

insect repellent.good stuff like ben's or something.
drinking water.

don't call every 2 seconds like they do on television.
less is more.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Turkey Hunting must haves - 03/29/18 06:47 PM

Becareful using those dekes. Using them can hurt you too. Not like you see on TV plus old and cheap are just that. Get a pad or little seat. Never needed shooting stix with a shotgun. Popup blind can help if you want to hunt a spot for a long time.

Re: Turkey Hunting must haves - 03/29/18 07:02 PM

Firm believer in less is more on the calling side.

I'm probably going to pick up a good hen decoy today. I want to maximize my chances at success. Not one to half way hunt anything that I'm after.
Posted By: TGalyon1

Re: Turkey Hunting must haves - 03/29/18 07:30 PM

Snake boots
some kind cushion to sit on.
Posted By: gusick

Re: Turkey Hunting must haves - 03/30/18 12:29 AM

Face mask and gloves.
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: Turkey Hunting must haves - 03/30/18 12:32 AM

Face mask, gloves. Pattern your shot gun before you hunt, it might not shoot where you think it will. Forrest
Posted By: howl

Re: Turkey Hunting must haves - 04/01/18 04:10 PM

It helps to know what turkeys sound like and what the sounds mean. lovettwilliams.com will sell you a set of CDs.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Turkey Hunting must haves - 04/01/18 04:10 PM

A good light chair. Patience and faith.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Turkey Hunting must haves - 04/02/18 12:48 PM

Have a backup call in case you lose your main call, break it, get it wet, leak mosquito repellent all over it, etc. Also, I carry a small folding saw or a hand pruner for clearing any small limbs or briars from wherever I set up to call from.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Turkey Hunting must haves - 04/02/18 09:32 PM

ThermaCell, ThermaCell, ThermaCell.

A good pair of comfortable snake boots.

A comfortable turkey chair.

A good box call. Good high pitch, with a good rollover.

Re: Turkey Hunting must haves - 04/02/18 09:52 PM

I appreciate all of the feed back guys. Getting more excited by the day to hopefully put the smack down on a gobbler this weekend.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum