Texas Hunting Forum

.22 rimfire for turkeys

Posted By: Hunter Daddy

.22 rimfire for turkeys - 02/20/18 07:55 PM

Who else hunts spring rio grande turkeys with a .22 gun? I find it a whole lot more challenging, trying to get a head shot. I use a scope that is dead on at 50 yards. Plus, if you miss, who cares, you won't have to clean it! I have killed many birds with a shotgun and its just not as challenging any more.
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: .22 rimfire for turkeys - 02/20/18 09:20 PM

Illegal!!! No rim fires!!
Posted By: chrswr

Re: .22 rimfire for turkeys - 02/20/18 11:04 PM

Originally Posted By: White Falcon
Illegal!!! No rim fires!!

Are you sure....? Only restriction I see is on Eastern Turkey no rifles or handguns, only shotguns. Most of Texas has RioGrande Turkey

Firearms
Game animals and game birds may be hunted with any legal firearm, except:

white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may not be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber.

shotguns are the only legal firearm that may be used to hunt Eastern turkey during the spring Eastern turkey season (see County Listing). Rifles and handguns may not be used to hunt Eastern turkey.

pellet guns and other air guns are not legal for the take of any game bird or game animal other than squirrel. To be lawful for the take of squirrel, an air rifle must be designed to be fired from the shoulder and use the force of a spring, air, or other non-ignited compressed gas to expel a projectile of at least .177 caliber (4.5mm) at a minimum muzzle velocity of 600 feet per second.

fully automatic firearms are not legal.

a shotgun is the only legal firearm for hunting migratory game birds (see Definitions - Legal Shotgun).
Silencers may be used to take any wildlife resource; however, all federal, state and local laws continue to apply.
Nongame Animals (Non-Protected) may be hunted with any lawful firearm, pellet gun, or other air gun.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: .22 rimfire for turkeys - 02/20/18 11:12 PM

•white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may not be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: .22 rimfire for turkeys - 02/21/18 04:16 PM

Sorry must have changed law.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: .22 rimfire for turkeys - 02/21/18 04:52 PM

I like using a 22 because it’s easier. I also never clean a turkey. I fillet the breast and leave the rest.
Posted By: Topper

Re: .22 rimfire for turkeys - 02/21/18 04:54 PM

My first post but wanted to jump in on the question by Hunter Daddy.

I hunt Rio Grand Turkey with a Henry Silver Boy 17 HMR, Burris 3-9x40 Fullfield II Ballistic Plex Scope. Also dead on at 50 Yards.

Very challenging and awesome fun.

Spring Turkey Hunt is all arranged.
Posted By: chrswr

Re: .22 rimfire for turkeys - 02/21/18 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman

•white-tailed deer, mule deer, desert bighorn sheep, and pronghorn antelope may not be hunted with rimfire ammunition of any caliber

AND "Eastern Turkey" shotguns are the only legal firearm that may be used to hunt Eastern turkey during the spring Eastern turkey season (see County Listing). Rifles and handguns may not be used to hunt Eastern turkey.
Posted By: TWarren

Re: .22 rimfire for turkeys - 02/21/18 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
I like using a 22 because it’s easier. I also never clean a turkey. I fillet the breast and leave the rest.

You're missing out on a ton of delicious meat from the legs and thighs!
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: .22 rimfire for turkeys - 02/22/18 05:03 AM

Been legal for rios as long as I can remember. Been a long time, but I have successfully hunted them using a 22 mag before. Sporting it is no different than using a shotgun. I never took a head or base of neck shot unless inside 50 yards. In fact I could see one making the argument that it is more sporting. I can confidently get out a little farther with less precision using my usual turkey gun an Ithaca Mag 10.
Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Re: .22 rimfire for turkeys - 02/23/18 07:39 PM

I had spoken to a Game Warden a few years back and it is legal to hunt Rio Grande turkeys with a .22 rim-fire. Of course, you don't want to be shooting a turkey in the body. You'll just wound it and it will run away. Head or neck shots only. Wait till the turkey is puffed up and moving slowly and nail him in the head. If you miss, than you won't have to clean it!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: .22 rimfire for turkeys - 02/24/18 02:32 PM

Works great! My youngest daughters first kill at 7 years old was a turkey at 50 yards right through the heart. It never even flopped its wings, just crumpled right there.
Posted By: Ron H

Re: .22 rimfire for turkeys - 02/24/18 03:21 PM

Remember laws are just suggestions like speed limits.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: .22 rimfire for turkeys - 02/24/18 05:20 PM

You don’t need to headshot a turkey with a .22 if you are wishing 100 yrds. Put it in the chest and it is plenty. Grew up shooting turkeys with a .22.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: .22 rimfire for turkeys - 02/26/18 03:08 AM

I hunted Turkey's for the first time last year and used a .17. Am going to turkey hunt this year too and will be using the same .17.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: .22 rimfire for turkeys - 02/26/18 04:00 AM

I've shot many turkeys with .22 Mag and never felt I was undergunned. Head or neck shot is best, but vitals also work. Get good ammo with better ballistics - I prefer Hornaday V-Max. 30 grain and 2200 fps. I think Winchester has one similar.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: .22 rimfire for turkeys - 03/02/18 06:11 AM

I shot my first turkey this yr with a 270 base of the neck. It dropped dead LOL.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: .22 rimfire for turkeys - 03/13/18 02:18 PM

17hmr, been there done that
Posted By: Wacm

Re: .22 rimfire for turkeys - 03/23/18 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Ron H
Remember laws are just suggestions like speed limits.

Lol yes and it's not illegal it you don't get caught..my wrestling coach use to teach us that one..crazy man..he got caught sleeping with one of the cheerleaders..it became illegal real fast for him
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum