Texas Hunting Forum

How many will switch to Tungsten Super Shot

Posted By: Gamblinman

How many will switch to Tungsten Super Shot - 12/29/17 10:29 PM

With Apex, Nitro, and Federal offering factory TSS loads this spring, how many will make the switch?
Posted By: HCHunter28

Re: How many will switch to Tungsten Super Shot - 12/30/17 11:43 AM

Not me. I bought expensive shells when I used to travel out of state for turkey hunting. Now on my place I don’t shoot one unless he’s in the decoys.

How much more distance are they claiming? You can get to 50-60 yards with lead if needed. The only thing I like heavier than lead for is the increased number of bb’s.

Re: How many will switch to Tungsten Super Shot - 12/30/17 07:53 PM

I'm more interested in the pattern density of the payload delivered by using smaller, and denser shot that carries equal energy as larger pellets, and not the longer range.
Posted By: HCHunter28

Re: How many will switch to Tungsten Super Shot - 12/30/17 10:47 PM

Are you having pattern density issues? The issue with longer shots is pattern density not energy. Why worry about it if you’re not interested in getting more distance.

A side note- I currently shoot a 12 3.5 shells. I’ve been thinking about dropping to a 20 gauge. I’d look at it if I downsize the shotgun.

Re: How many will switch to Tungsten Super Shot - 12/31/17 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: HCHunter28
Are you having pattern density issues? The issue with longer shots is pattern density not energy. Why worry about it if you’re not interested in getting more distance.

A side note- I currently shoot a 12 3.5 shells. I’ve been thinking about dropping to a 20 gauge. I’d look at it if I downsize the shotgun.

No...not at all. I'm currently shooting Federal Heavyweight, but these are being discontinued in all gauges with the release of the TSS loads.
Posted By: gusick

Re: How many will switch to Tungsten Super Shot - 01/01/18 06:24 AM

I might try it. You can generally get away with a smaller shot size with W-loads and you can generally get away with tighter chokes with smaller shot. Theoretically, this is gangbusters, but we will see. It certainly wont hurt anything, it's just a matter of being worth the cost.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: How many will switch to Tungsten Super Shot - 01/02/18 03:57 PM

I switched long before TSS was the rage.

I laugh at the prices they charge. Learn to load and you too can have 1 5/8oz 20ga loads for under $5/round. up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum