Texas Hunting Forum

Silly Question ... maybe

Posted By: John Humbert

Silly Question ... maybe - 02/23/15 09:06 PM

One of the places I hunt (Boerne) has some "white" turkeys running with the wild rios. Now these may be domestic or domestic/wild crossbreeds - but I also know there are some wild Royal Palms in the area (Seen them once myself, and know of someone close by that shot one year before last).

Now here's my question - while regular spring season for Rios and Easterns are clearly set - what are the rules/regs on these domestic, domestic/wild crossbreeds, and most especially - Royal Palms?

Are they considered "exotics" and open season all year long?

The reason I ask is that my landowner said he's seen a bunch of "white" ones recently mixed in with some large flocks that have been visiting the pasture. This past weekend I called in some birds (while sitting for axis on a very slow day and just fooling around) and they are really responding well to calls. As I was leaving, I saw some white birds at a distance. Couldn't ID them but I think some where Royals (or maybe just my wishing thinking), and a couple of the "white" birds were HUGE. I'm thinking the big white ones were probably domestic crosses, but were acting just like wild birds.

While I like wild turkey, I am thinking these semi-domestic birds are probably better tasting with more meat. Am I crazy to think that and could I get a jump on season?
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Silly Question ... maybe - 02/23/15 10:58 PM

I would not shoot them thinking they are domestic. There are different color phases of the wild turkey with white being one of them. The different color phases are rare but do exist.

Re: Silly Question ... maybe - 02/24/15 12:16 AM

Good point, especially on hybrids. But I am pretty certain I can distinguish a Royal Palm if one shows up! They are unmistakable.

Posted By: Tjack28

Re: Silly Question ... maybe - 02/24/15 03:51 AM

Originally Posted By: John Humbert
Good point, especially on hybrids. But I am pretty certain I can distinguish a Royal Palm if one shows up! They are unmistakable.

Actually, a white phase wild rio can breed with a regular dark rio and produce the royal palm looking bird...these are usually know as a smoky gray. Though they look domesticated or hybrid they'd still be considered wild turkeys and you can catch some heat shooting one out of season.
Posted By: trash2

Re: Silly Question ... maybe - 02/24/15 04:40 AM

Although I agree with the different phases etc they can go through, I imagine if you're seeing flocks of them then you're probably right on your assumption.

Re: Silly Question ... maybe - 02/24/15 05:03 AM

I agree with y'all on the identification - it could be hard to tell sometimes.

But what I am asking - assuming I can FOR SURE identify the bird as NOT a Rio, is there any REGULATION or LAW that prohibits from shooting? Obviously if you have domestic turkeys in your yard, you can kill and eat at any time - but what if they are WILD (feral turkeys - LOL), or an exotic breed like a Royal Palm? And are Rio/Domestic cross breeds considered Rios under the regulations?

Re: Silly Question ... maybe - 02/24/15 07:17 AM

Talk to your Game Warden, they would be the one to write a ticket or not

https://tpwd.texas.gov/warden/?display=true
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Silly Question ... maybe - 02/24/15 01:01 PM

TPWD does not make a distinction in there regulations regarding "feral" turkeys and therefore, any bird harvested would have to be added to your creel. Love to have one of the hybirds...just for the conversation piece.

Gman

Re: Silly Question ... maybe - 03/02/15 06:27 AM

Smokey Hen decoy for you

Smokey decoy
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Silly Question ... maybe - 03/02/15 12:46 PM

LOL..seen that. Never know..it might work. Be visible from quite aways.

Gman
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum