Texas Hunting Forum

Spring Turkeys Near Houston.. Restocking efforts?

Posted By: TXGH

Spring Turkeys Near Houston.. Restocking efforts? - 02/05/15 12:18 AM

I have heard alot about the restocking efforts for the Eastern in the Houston area.. Anyone know if they are starting to look better? This will be my first Turkey season in Houston, and I have heard bad things about the national forest as far as turkey hunting goes.

Thanks all!
Posted By: Tjack28

Re: Spring Turkeys Near Houston.. Restocking efforts? - 02/05/15 04:06 AM

Houston county or Sam Houston national forest near the city of Houston? Haven't heard of any recent stockings of turkeys in either the county or the national forest, but there's no season in Houston county or Sam Houston ntl forest.
Posted By: TXGH

Re: Spring Turkeys Near Houston.. Restocking efforts? - 02/05/15 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Tjack28
Houston county or Sam Houston national forest near the city of Houston? Haven't heard of any recent stockings of turkeys in either the county or the national forest, but there's no season in Houston county or Sam Houston ntl forest.

Yeah I found that out after my post haha. I was reading articles from 2012 that said they may try to re open seasons in 2015 if the restocking efforts work out. I guess they did not work out that well.

Thanks!
Posted By: Tjack28

Re: Spring Turkeys Near Houston.. Restocking efforts? - 02/05/15 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: jtprocaddie
Originally Posted By: Tjack28

Yeah I found that out after my post haha. I was reading articles from 2012 that said they may try to re open seasons in 2015 if the restocking efforts work out. I guess they did not work out that well.

Thanks!

It's usually about 5 years after a stocking has been done depending on how the birds are doing. The only stocking that has taken place within the last 7-8 years near Sam Houston took place on private land in Montgomery county and last I heard the birds were doing alright. I doubt if they're at the point of reopening the season out there though. Only other super stocking taking place near there now is on a private co-op in Trinity county. Been hoping for another one to take place on Sam Houston ntl forest, but there's no plans as of yet. There are a few birds around there but Sam Houston needs to do some thinning to create more openings for brooding habitat. It tends to grow up pretty thick in many areas which isn't good for turkeys...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum