Texas Hunting Forum

fall turkey hunting tips

Posted By: supersampson12

fall turkey hunting tips - 12/21/14 05:14 PM

I've been seeing alot of turkey while deer hunting lately. They are mostly hens 20 or 30 at a time. Every once and a while I see a group of 3 or 4 toms. What can I do to bring these birds in during fall season? Calling? Decoys? Any tips or tricks will help. Thanks.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: fall turkey hunting tips - 12/21/14 11:15 PM

Feeder is all.

Re: fall turkey hunting tips - 12/26/14 10:51 PM

ok cool
Posted By: RedRaider13

Re: fall turkey hunting tips - 12/29/14 02:53 AM

Spread a lot of corn, we have had the most success for turkey in the fall between 10am and 3pm.
Posted By: Scoop

Re: fall turkey hunting tips - 12/29/14 02:19 PM

Lot more fun to just wait a few months when they do respond to calling. I tell guys who come out to my place that if they do want to take one in the fall, thin out our hen group a bit and save the toms for spring. Like others have said, its pretty much a corn feeder/rifle thing in the fall mixed in with deer hunting. Shotgun up close is a spring thing for us.

Re: fall turkey hunting tips - 12/30/14 07:44 AM

I have managed to shoot a couple in the neck with my rifle. So the calling is pretty much pointless in the fall?
Posted By: Kiko-G

Re: fall turkey hunting tips - 12/30/14 07:21 PM

It's harder than calling them during the spring, but its possible. The only call that has worked for me is the "Assembly Call". Basically you yelp about 10-12 times continuously in a faster beat than you would normally do when calling in the spring. It works when you spook them and they all scatter and when they drop from the roost or before they are going to the roost.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum