Texas Hunting Forum

1st Turkey Season

Posted By: Newt1234

1st Turkey Season - 02/12/13 02:58 AM

Well this will be my first season hunting turkey and I am looking for a new shotgun. Not new to shooting them just new to hunting with them. What is the best gun out there for around $500?

Rem 870? Mossberg 535?

Does the color of the gun really make a difference?
Posted By: kamolaw

Re: 1st Turkey Season - 02/12/13 03:23 PM

Am a Remington fan...you can find a camo 870 3" chambering is sufficient may want a remington superfull turkey choke all for well under $500. I have shot Mossbergs in in my opinion they are too hard kicking for me to enjoy using. Turkeys have almost 360 degree sight, every predator out there is after them, and they stay alive using that vision, imo camo for you and equipment are a must. Have always heard and do believe it myself that if they had the nose of a whitetail we would never get a shot at em. Have fun, good luck with your turky hunting, am hooked and love it as much as hunting whitetail if not more. aim
Posted By: Chris2713

Re: 1st Turkey Season - 02/12/13 03:54 PM

Picking up my SXP for out the door price of 480 already dipped.
Posted By: Brutacus

Re: 1st Turkey Season - 02/23/13 03:57 AM

The 870 is a good budget choice. For a little over your budget, you could get a Beretta 3901 semi-auto. I have one in 12ga and love it. I don't even use a recoil pad the kick is so soft. I use it for duck, dove, quail, pheasant, turkeys, and sporting clays. I bought mine at a LGS for $600. I apply camo to it when needed with a kit ($25).
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: 1st Turkey Season - 02/23/13 04:27 AM

I have a 3901 as well. Sold my 835 because it is light and kicks like a mule. Had a Benelli Nova as well but sold it for the automatic. The Beretta is easy on the shoulder. I bought mine on line. I have the camo version and recommend camo for turkey. You don't need a 3 1/2 inch shell, you can kill them with a 3 inch shell just fine.
Posted By: JakeJJ

Re: 1st Turkey Season - 02/23/13 05:16 PM

As of now. I would not recommend a new 870, nothing but problems. I spent more time "fixing" mine in the field this duck season than I did actually shooting it. The quality has really gone down hill. I know you said you wanted new but have you checked out any pawn shops in your area. I've gotten a few quality shotguns dirt cheap from pawn shops.
Posted By: Newt1234

Re: 1st Turkey Season - 03/04/13 09:43 PM

Picked up a Remington 877 Nitro Mag last weekend. Haven't been able to shoot it yet but will report back when I do. Came with an extra full turkey choke and a 22" barrel. I know there have been a lot of mixed reviews on this gun but it was a good deal so I thought I would give it a try.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum