Texas Hunting Forum

Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt

Posted By: Tjack28

Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 12/09/12 06:00 PM

Just putting the word out early for our 3rd annual spring Jakes (Youth) Turkey Hunt on March 15th-17th.

We will be hunting the 18,000 acre Boerschig U-Bar ranch north of Brackettville, TX again this year and could use some of you guys help as volunteers to help guide and call in birds for the young people.

We also need shooting instructors to help the first timers with shooting and patterning shotguns. We were short last year and not all the kids got the chance to get the hang on shooting. This is the opener for south zone, but for those of you who are free to help out with the kids on this weekend let me know. Thanks guys!
Posted By: CHRIS1981

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 12/09/12 06:16 PM

pm sent
Posted By: Capt.Engine2

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 12/10/12 02:30 AM

pm sent
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 12/10/12 04:11 AM

Count me in TJack! partyon555

I guided on this hunt last year and let me tell you it was a blast. Great ranch and the trip was worth it without a doubt.

The experience of being on this hunt last year prompted me to get the TYHP Huntmaster and Hunter Education instructor training. Tell John to let me know what he wants me to do on this hunt.
Posted By: Birdboy

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 12/11/12 06:50 PM

pm sent
Posted By: Scoop

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 12/12/12 08:55 PM

You can count me in again. Looking forward to it.

Doug

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 12/12/12 11:07 PM

So am I...going to be good to see you and Kevin again and meet some of the other guys from the forum. We're going to try getting 20 kids out this year...last year we opened the hunt for 20 but only 14 made it and only 3 birds were taken ...although there could've been more as there were many opportunities. With this years hatch I got a feeling those kids are going to make some feathers fly this spring!

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 12/13/12 08:13 AM

We definitely coulda had more 'birds in the box'. I had big toms in front of both the kids I guided. One shot dirt under the bird, and the other waited too long and never pulled the trigger. Many of those kids have never hunted before and they are just learning, but I think they all had fun and learned. That hunt is a great experience for the kids, and taking a bird is just gravy.
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 12/13/12 03:25 PM

Sent you a PM. I'm far from a guide, but I can call a turkey.
Posted By: T_J

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 12/13/12 05:58 PM

Sent you a PM. I'd be delighted to come call some turkeys for the youngsters in March.

I can probably bring 2-3 other gentlemen with me to teach shooting skills...and cook.....

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 12/17/12 06:51 PM

TJack, how many guides are you still needing to pick up? I know you already have a few volunteers from your core group there in Houston.

And for the rest of you, all you really need to do is help get your kiddo and his dad properly camoed up and quiet and do some calling. We do group drop offs and pick ups to get you to an assigned spot, so you won't have to worry about anything really but calling in some birds. To the kids you are a super hunter, even if you are not the most experienced guide out there...

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 12/18/12 12:06 AM

From the THF alone we've picked up about 9 potential guides. From our committee there are about 6-7 people going for sure to help out in various areas such as cooking, chaperone, calling ..etc. Not sure how many more from our NWTF committee plans to participate, but if I hear from maybe 2 more guys from the forum I'll take them. That way my committee guys will be free to help in other areas. Looking forward to it a great year!
Posted By: Evans

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 01/14/13 03:50 AM

I would be very interested in helping . I just moved to the Houston area from Mississippi wear I hunted eastern long beards. I have good references if needed to speak on my behalf . Please let me know what measures I should take from this point on .

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 01/14/13 01:52 PM

Evans welcome to the forum.

If you can call in Eastern Birds you will be able to call in the Rio Grand turkeys on this hunt.

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 01/14/13 02:29 PM

Welcome. I'm sure TJack will get with ya soon. Always use another caller. Last year it was a bit tight getting a caller for every kid, and they are looking at hosting a few more youth this year.

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 01/16/13 07:53 PM

I shot him an PM. Looks like we're about full...may have to do some improvising...
Posted By: Hawk and Buck Farms

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 01/27/13 02:10 PM

Don't want to jump your site, but we just started a youth hunt and outdoor club here in DFW.

We are walking through Gal 5 - Applying Fruits of the Spirit to gun safety and good hunting techniques.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or resources for youth hunting clubs.

Again, please forgive me if this is against the rules for posting but I checked and it looks like it's OK to post this request.

Thanks, John Hofker

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 01/28/13 04:10 PM

PM sent..

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 01/28/13 04:31 PM

Okay guys...I thank everyone for willing to help out with the kids. For those of you I've communicated with I will be in touch over the next few weeks. We are about over loaded for this hunt so for anyone else that's interested I will just add the name to a standby list in case someone backs out. If some of you who I've already talked to happen to find out that you can't make the dates please let me know as I already have about 3 guys on standby.

Also, each year we are growing larger and larger due to kids wanting to go on these hunts. At some point we're going to need to put on at least 2 or 3 of these a spring. That's going to mean finding some land owners with a big enough place to allow at least 7 - 10 kids to come out and take a bird each.

Mr. Beorschig is a good friend of our Jakes Coordinator (John Miller)and he's graciously allowed us to come out the last 3 years to hunt his place. Last year half of the kids were inner-city kids and a few from single parent homes. This hunt changed everything for some who experienced it for the first time and they've been looking to participate again. At the same time you have other new kids who are interested and would like to go. In our case we don't want to turn away any kids who's life can be positively changed after one hunt, so we are currently looking for other possibilities.

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 02/13/13 07:29 PM

Youth Hunter openings are finally all full. I got an overwhelming reply from a lot of you guys here on the forum to guide, and I appreciate all who did. Sense then I've had a few guys that had things come up and backed out. If anyone is still interested we still need a few more guys to help guide.

I sent an email to most of you who gave me email addresses with some info and directions to the ranch. If you didn't get the email let me know. I also have to call a couple of you guys as I didn't get an email address from you to send you the info. In the email I sent out I expressed the concern about beds/sleeping arrangements. I think the ranch has about 50 beds, but we may end up in excess of 60 people once we get a guide for everyone.

For the guys who asked if it was okay to come down in campers it may be a good idea at this point. If anyone have cots or air mattresses I'd bring them as well. I have a couple of our guys bringing extra cots in case someone doesn't have one. Anyway, we will have enough food for everyone and one of the guys is bringing a porker to smoke on the pit. It will be a great time and I'm looking forward to meeting some of you guys from THF...

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 02/13/13 10:43 PM

So we have 20 kids this year?

For those of you considering it, lets just say from my experience on the hunt last year, sign up it sure does a person good to give back or as the term around here is pay-it-forward. Seeing the excitement of these kids is contagious. Made some good friends on the hunt last year and look forward to seeing some of them again this year.
Posted By: trash2

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 02/14/13 06:45 AM

Wish I was in town

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 02/15/13 09:27 PM

We're also doing some things earlier that week while the kids are out for spring break. We're taking some kids up to Frankston to learn about forestry and wildlife habitat from TPWD biologist Jay Whiteside.

After Jay talks to them we're going to give them hands on training with planting beneficial trees like white oak, post oak, chestnut oak, Alleghany chinkapin and American chestnuts.

After they're done with the tree planting we want to teach them how to set up tents to camp out and take them fishing at Lake Palestine. Would be great to get some folks to come out and help give planting tips as well as teach them how to rig a fishing line. We're just trying to create more opportunities to get the kids outside during spring break.
Posted By: THETEXAN

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 02/15/13 10:57 PM

pm

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 02/16/13 04:56 PM

Wish I could help that week at Lake Palestine too. Sounds like a good time. You guys are staying pretty busy with those kids...

See ya for the Boershig Ranch hunt...

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 02/16/13 05:17 PM

I wish ya could to scoop....Ken killed a pig he's donating to this event and if you were there you could've showed them the right way to smoke him...
Posted By: venom

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 02/18/13 02:33 PM

pm sent

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 02/25/13 11:50 PM

Just have about 13 guides on my list and have heard back from about 6 or 7. I've send out a couple of emails with directions and other info and made some calls and got a couple of bad numbers. If you signed up to help out on the hunt and haven't heard anything from me or have not received the ranch release form please let me know. We can still use a few more guys as well. Thanks guys....looking forward to it and hear the birds are already talking...Can't wait!

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 02/27/13 04:27 PM

Barney and T_J hope to meet you there. The hunt is a lot of fun and like Scoop said a great experience for the kids. Great experience IMO for the guides as well.

It is about the kids and having them a safe fun time in the outdoors. If birds are taken and I am sure there will be or at least shot opportunities presented. The ranch has lots of birds on it and never know what else you will see during the hunt. Had elk and Nilgia pay visits to the setup last year during the hunt.

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 03/06/13 08:28 PM

Just got a report from the ranch down in Brackettville. The foreman said that he's been seeing lots of birds all over the place. There were lots last year but with the rain last spring there must have been a great hatch...can't wait to get out there to put the whipper snappers on 'em....let the feathers fly!
Posted By: curt o

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 03/06/13 10:56 PM

Great, looking forward to it!

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 03/06/13 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Tjack28
Just got a report from the ranch down in Brackettville. The foreman said that he's been seeing lots of birds all over the place. There were lots last year but with the rain last spring there must have been a great hatch...can't wait to get out there to put the whipper snappers on 'em....let the feathers fly!

Last year there were good numbers of mature gobblers but almost no jakes, bet with last years weather there will be lots of jakes running around with some big mature gobblers as well. Looking forward to getting the kiddo's on some again.

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 03/08/13 10:37 PM

Had a couple more guys drop...still need a few

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 03/09/13 05:01 AM

Come on guys, would hate to have to team up multiple youth with a guide
Posted By: Strut

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 03/09/13 02:00 PM

sent pm
Posted By: KeithTT

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 03/12/13 12:50 AM

Dang I wish it was not this weekend cause I would be all over it. I live in San Antonio now so it look's like it's not even that far. Unfortunately I have billiard's final's to go to vegas this weekend. If ya'll have any other's come up later on please let me know man cause like I said that's not far from the house and I would like to help the kid's get a few on the ground. I will check one more time maybe I can come down saturday late and guide some kid's sunday mornin' or somethin'.

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 03/15/13 02:21 AM

Tomorrow is the big day...looking forward to seeing some fo you guys in Brackettville tomorrow. Pics and video of this hunt soon to follow....

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 03/15/13 04:48 AM

See ya there TJack
Posted By: Tim9880

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 03/16/13 08:50 PM

Any pics yet? Wish I could have come to help.

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 03/18/13 02:21 AM

I did not get any pics, will have defer that to Tjack or Scoop. No birds were taken this year but still was a great time in the outdoors with the kids and fellow turkey hunters.

There were a couple shots fired at birds but sometimes the beat plans do not work out. The young man I was guiding missed a jake at about 30 yards. Nearing the end of a long day Saturday 2 jakes came in rather quickly. In waking the young hunter up and getting him on the bird we got busted and he pulled a shot at the jake as it was walking away putting. Know the feeling, I have missed a bird before.

The birds were pretty henned up still and not responding very well to the calls but it can be difficult at times to pull a gobbler away from a live hen right in front of him.

Re: Need Guides, callers and shooting instructors for Youth Turkey Hunt - 03/20/13 03:50 PM

Well..2 misses and no birds taken this time. There were lots of them there but as Kmon1 said they ere all henned up with only a couple coming in to calls. A couple of the kids were able to kill jack rabbits and there were a few rattlers killed and even though they didn't close the deal on a bird they were all pretty excited and had a great experience.

I'd like to thank you guys who came out to support and help out with the guiding. It was a bit hectic trying to get everyone situated with 17 kids, their guardians and trying to figure out how many guides actually showed up to see if we had enough to cover each kid/guardian team, but we finally got it situated and had a great time. Mr. Boerschig said that by the time we get back next season he should have extra lodging on the place, so we can already have assigned lodges for youth/guardians and additional ones for our guides.

Thank all of you guys for showing these kids a great time and giving them an experience to remember. It's tough putting these things on with large numbers like this and we wouldn't have been able to do it without you guys. Thanks again and hope some of you guys can help out on future hunt. I'll post pics later...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum