Texas Hunting Forum

Shoot coyotes?

Posted By: Dave Davidson

Shoot coyotes? - 05/26/22 12:28 AM

I no longer do.

Why?
About 3 years ago, I was deer hunting and watching a feeder. A big bunch of hogs showed up including some smaller ones. While I was watching, a coyote ran in, grabbed a piglet and kept going. The other pigs went nuts so I shot the sow. I started thinking.

I like coyotes, rattle snakes, ticks and chiggers more than I do hogs. I’m over run with them. I know that coyotes take fawns and I would rather they didn’t. But, I have a helluva lot more hogs than deer for them to gnaw on.

Actually the only thing I like less than hogs is my ex wife. But that’s another story for another time.

I’ll keep giving the yotes a pass.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 05/26/22 12:44 AM

Very cool you got to witness that! I finally killed 7 piglets yesterday that I orphaned a few weeks ago. They look like a bobcat's or coyote's dream come true, but I think most predators are terrified that Momma will fatally injure them. Or, maybe I don't have enough coyotes. I know, that's sacrilege to a sheep or goat rancher.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 05/26/22 01:34 AM

Fawns and coyotes are not a good mix. I shoot coyotes every chance I have. And all of a sudden, as fawns drop, I am seeing coyotes on the game cams.

My wife hates coyotes way more than I do. Told me today that I need to shoot some of them. Yes dear!
Posted By: maximum

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 05/26/22 02:33 AM

You can have predators, or you can have game animals and game birds and livestock.
They didn't have all those bounties way back then for no reason.
If the economy got any worse, I would imagine that the folks that catch and release
varmints that kill their chickens and such will decide that losing good edible eggs
and chickens and other livestock is no longer an acceptable loss.
Those 3 eggs that possum eats might mean that you miss a meal,
or those vegetables that got ruined could have fed you and your mate
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 05/26/22 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by 603Country
Fawns and coyotes are not a good mix. I shoot coyotes every chance I have. And all of a sudden, as fawns drop, I am seeing coyotes on the game cams.

My wife hates coyotes way more than I do. Told me today that I need to shoot some of them. Yes dear!

If you ever need help with pasture poodles, there’s nothing I love more than staying up all night calling & killing them.
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 05/26/22 03:59 PM

There is a good reason why predator control is listed by TPW as one of the 7 wildlife management activities.
Posted By: Jroutdoors

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 06/30/22 01:53 PM

Kill em all
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 07/03/22 03:13 PM

I had one of my game cameras catch a group of small piglets and 8 min later a coyote had one in his mouth. I would have given him a pass that time had I been there. If I see one and they don't have a pig in their mouth they don't get a pass.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 07/26/22 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by pigplinker
I had one of my game cameras catch a group of small piglets and 8 min later a coyote had one in his mouth. I would have given him a pass that time had I been there. If I see one and they don't have a pig in their mouth they don't get a pass.

I like this logic...! up
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 07/29/22 02:42 PM

How'd the piglets taste?
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 07/31/22 03:51 PM

We don't have hogs but we trap and hoot all the coyotes we can, they do real damage to a deer herd.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 07/31/22 04:18 PM

Seen too many calves, kids, and fawns killed by coyotes.

None get a pass from me.

If I had a hog problem, they would get snared and trapped. All hogs and coyotes get shot on the spot.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 07/31/22 05:10 PM

See coyote, shoot coyote. That’s me anyway. The grandson says he can’t shoot them because they look like little German shepherds. I may be forced to pay a bounty to get him to shoot ‘em. That boy….

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 07/31/22 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
See coyote, shoot coyote. That’s me anyway. The grandson says he can’t shoot them because they look like little German shepherds. I may be forced to pay a bounty to get him to shoot ‘em. That boy….

Ask him if he had a German Shepherd that killed baby deer, goats, sheep or calves, would he keep it around?
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 08/03/22 03:54 PM

Farm dogs used to kill chickens etc. if they "went bad".
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 08/07/22 11:11 PM

Coyotes kill fawns, lots of them. Pigs don’t. Shoot all coyotes and pigs.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 08/08/22 10:31 PM

Coyotes literally kill more fawns than any other single thing. Absolutely never would I ever give a coyote a pass.

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 08/08/22 10:33 PM

Feral dogs don’t get a pass either

https://www.deer.psu.edu/who-is-eating-bambi-north-america-edition/
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 08/12/22 01:49 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 08/12/22 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by TexFlip
[Linked Image]

roflmao

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 08/13/22 12:34 AM

I’d have to be pretty damn desperate to eat a coyote. It’s at the very bottom of the list of starvation foods, below insects and grubs
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 08/13/22 12:26 PM

I don't give coyotes a pass because they are "just doing what coyotes do" (heard that several times) or they look like something they are not. I shoot every one I have a shot at but will never make a significant dent in the population. I've lost too many calves and calving cows to them over the years.
[Linked Image]

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 08/13/22 10:10 PM

Well if we all shot every one that we could, it wouldn’t be an issue. Imagine if everybody dropped every coyote dumb enough to present itself. Roadside, etc.

I know a guy that does that. Will pull over and drop any coyote in eyesight even from the road across a pasture. All his neighbors are in on it too except one California transplant that called the police on him lol. He did not get in trouble, but was told to stop.
Posted By: RGG_123

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 08/23/22 02:28 AM

always!
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 08/26/22 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by TexFlip
[Linked Image]

rofl
Posted By: blkt2

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 08/26/22 10:08 PM

Never shot coyotes until they killed my favorite cat right smack dab in the middle of Plano in August of 2009. I won't pass up a shot on them now and I even walk my neighborhood at night with a suppressed 22 pistol looking for them. I've killed several hundred since they killed my beloved cat.
Posted By: Billy Goat

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 08/29/22 04:45 PM

I will shoot over the back of a 10 point buck to kill a coyote, and do it on opening morning of rifle season.

much as I love hearing them on evening sits.... I know how hard they hammer our fawn crop.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 08/30/22 02:23 AM

Last year I saw a mature buck running out of some blue stem

When it came out of the blue stem, on its tail was a coyote, I watched the chase for about 300 yards

IDK if he ever caught up w the buck or not but that's the 1st time I have ever saw that

It was a dang good race, that coyote stayed within about 20 yards the whole time
Posted By: Earl

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 08/30/22 03:32 AM

I usually shoot them because they are a massive problem for my landowner's uncle who runs cattle on my place. I know he loses calves to them often and even though I've not seen it, If he's losing calves I'm probably losing fawns as well. I know the LO and his Uncle want me to kill all of them I see. But I have always been and always will be a massive dog lover. I know a coyote is no dog, but dangit sometimes either they are just to pretty to shoot or it's prime shooting time and I don't want to disrupt my chances at a buck that might be in the area. I would say maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, but nah I still kill all hogs I can. In fact I hate them so much I usually wait for them to line up so I can get 2 with one shot. Too bad I can't set off a claymore or something and take out entire sounders...
Posted By: DukeCigars

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 08/30/22 01:15 PM

Last season after I shot a doe at a protein feeder, I was letting her expire and a coyote came dancing along the tree line right towards where she was. Blew his [censored] right off him (I broadsided him right under the tail, literally blew his butt off). Just like bobcats, they’ll attack a birthing doe. Remember doe have 2 at a time when they’re healthy, so that can be 3 lives immediately messed up plus future generations that the little ol’ cute coyote takes. Blast’em and off into a creek they go

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 08/30/22 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by procraft05

When it came out of the blue stem, on its tail was a coyote, I watched the chase for about 300 yards

IDK if he ever caught up w the buck or not but that's the 1st time I have ever saw that

It was a dang good race, that coyote stayed within about 20 yards the whole time

^^^^^

If he was lucky (the coyote) he did not.

A lone coyote is no threat at all to a healthy, mature whitetail buck.

Can't imagine why a coyote would even chase one.....except it wasn't too smart.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 08/31/22 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Billy Goat
I will shoot over the back of a 10 point buck to kill a coyote, and do it on opening morning of rifle season.

much as I love hearing them on evening sits.... I know how hard they hammer our fawn crop.

Solid !
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 09/02/22 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by 4Weight

Solid !

Yessir.
Posted By: Jstocks

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 10/28/22 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by TCM3

Solid !

Yessir.

I’ve seen several pictures posted from people this year with small fawn parts in their mouth on game cameras.

I shot one last year that was hanging out at a deer feeder. I think they start timing the deer that are coming to the timed feeders. This one got it with the crossbow.
Posted By: Dzhitshard

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 10/28/22 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by procraft05

^^^^^

If he was lucky (the coyote) he did not.

A lone coyote is no threat at all to a healthy, mature whitetail buck.

Can't imagine why a coyote would even chase one.....except it wasn't too smart.

The 330# landscape laborer with saggy pants and a sweat stained shirt doesn't have much of a chance picking up the rodeo queen at a honkey tonk but he'll try nearly every time.

It isn't any different with coyotes.

I watched the scene last night like I have a hundred other times. One single coyote working up on a group of deer bedded in a cut corn field. They may not have much of a fighting chance but if there's any chance they'll often make an attempt. I've watched them mouse around deer and call bringing in others and I've watched them push deer into packs who harass and then kill if they can.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 12/28/22 07:59 PM

I don't shoot them for 2 reasons:
1 - they're a piglet predator
2 - I'm always afraid it's going to be one of the neighbor's dogs (probably the biggest reason)

But, I have seen them chase full-sized deer and I do not badmouth those who do.
Posted By: tgltexas

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 02/09/23 06:50 PM

I saw a coyote in the wheat field about a month ago. I chased it down with my four wheeler and ran over it a couple of times. It was injured, but still alive and kinda-sorta able to keep running toward the high fence. I raced back to the cabin to get my truck and rifle. I found it hobbling along the fence line, so I chased it down and ran over it again (but the truck is too tall, unfortunately, and it passed right under). By this time, the coyote was pretty tuckered out and it stopped to take a breather along the edge of the fence, so I got my rifle out of my truck and pumped a .308 into while it stared at me with it's evil little puppy dog eyes. It was like a frenzied scene out of a Mad Max movie.

No coyote ever gets a pass from me. The only good coyote is a dead one.
Posted By: duffas

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 02/09/23 07:23 PM

So, serious question. Kid's place is mostly young pine (100 acre) but a nearby area is heavy wooded. Hear yotes at night, never seen one there. Deer on property (fawns too). Birthing is approaching, how do you hunt yotes in that situation? Evening/night? Doubt walking in the trees would be productive. Place has a big pond and some pasture, no livestock. Unfortunately, haven't seen any hogs to shoot either. He's got 2 feeders but only deer and coons there. Well, lots of fire ants/gophers too. Lots of surrounding ranches with cattle. Palestine area.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 02/10/23 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by duffas
So, serious question. Kid's place is mostly young pine (100 acre) but a nearby area is heavy wooded. Hear yotes at night, never seen one there. Deer on property (fawns too). Birthing is approaching, how do you hunt yotes in that situation? Evening/night? Doubt walking in the trees would be productive. Place has a big pond and some pasture, no livestock. Unfortunately, haven't seen any hogs to shoot either. He's got 2 feeders but only deer and coons there. Well, lots of fire ants/gophers too. Lots of surrounding ranches with cattle. Palestine area.

Run a call, use a thermal...bingo

Or if not, run a call during daylight

But, being there when they are is probably the biggest factor..
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 02/10/23 02:18 AM

Busted a coyote out of the thick brush this afternoon while hog hunting. He didn't see me but heard me, so he goes a few yards and starts barking at me from behind some trees. I barked back, I had a squeeler in my pocket and tried to entice him in. I even started barking back but he would not give me a visual. Dang dog.
Posted By: steventtu

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 02/17/23 08:24 PM

I've never been into the idea of shooting coyotes until recently, but someone's got to do it. I feel the same way about raccoons.
Posted By: NGHTTRN

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 02/18/23 03:27 PM

Please dont stop killing coyotes.

ALL other destructive varmints are so much easier to kill.

We just had a chopper out for 3 hours to only target coyotes.
Posted By: bluetopper

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 02/19/23 10:06 PM

I was raised up with my Dad having coyote hounds, scent hounds. American Foxhounds is what they were. We would meet with other hunters who had hounds and cast them a little after dark when scenting conditions got good especially on a cool clear still night. Landowners back then didn't care. Some would come visit and listen around the campfire to the hounds running.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 02/20/23 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by TCM3

Solid !

Yessir.

Same here. I will interrupt any deer hunt to shoot a yote or a hog.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 02/20/23 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by NGHTTRN
Please dont stop killing coyotes.

ALL other destructive varmints are so much easier to kill.

We just had a chopper out for 3 hours to only target coyotes.

Do you mind saying what they charged per hour? Did they do it all, or was one of you the gunner?
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 02/21/23 06:59 PM

Hate em, rather deal with pigs. Saw two today in the middle of my cows...and didn't have my gun mad
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 02/22/23 10:32 PM

Dog gets caught killing a chicken around our place when I was a kid, chicken and dog DOA.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Shoot coyotes? - 02/22/23 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Stompy
Hate em, rather deal with pigs. Saw two today in the middle of my cows...and didn't have my gun mad

Come on Stomp, as a landowner getting caught without a gun....give the man 30 lashes....LOL
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum