Texas Hunting Forum

Fur Market--is there any?

Posted By: Matagorda Mud Pig

Fur Market--is there any? - 12/22/21 03:32 PM

Talk about a renewable resource. Don't suppose any fur buyers are buying raccoons are they?
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Fur Market--is there any? - 12/22/21 07:42 PM

Ours is pretty decent but I bet you all don't have much to sell.
Coons are not worth skinning right now.

We need strong auctions in Canada this year.
Posted By: maximum

Re: Fur Market--is there any? - 12/22/21 11:56 PM

Last time I checked a top quality coon hide from my
area of Texas would bring a whopping $3.00
I don't think a bobcat was even $20.00

I'm not skinning anything for $3.00

I'll still do my part to stay on top of the varmints.
I'd much rather see fawns and rabbits and squirrels and
game birds than hear coyotes howling and find coyote
and bobcat turds full of fur and feathers
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Fur Market--is there any? - 01/09/22 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by maximum
Last time I checked a top quality coon hide from my
area of Texas would bring a whopping $3.00
I don't think a bobcat was even $20.00

I'm not skinning anything for $3.00

I'll still do my part to stay on top of the varmints.
I'd much rather see fawns and rabbits and squirrels and
game birds than hear coyotes howling and find coyote
and bobcat turds full of fur and feathers

This. i'm trying to stay after them as well. They quickly get out of control.
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Fur Market--is there any? - 01/09/22 07:10 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Fur Market--is there any? - 01/24/22 06:49 PM

Now a days no one is getting rich fur trapping. Maybe a few martin trapping in Alaska make enough to stay alive. Trap for the fun of it, to outfox the quarry.

Re: Fur Market--is there any? - 01/26/22 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Scott
Now a days no one is getting rich fur trapping. Maybe a few martin trapping in Alaska make enough to stay alive. Trap for the fun of it, to outfox the quarry.

Before covid, one could make good money out here in the Rocky Mt area trapping cats an coyotes. If FHA can have a good attended fur auction our prices will bounce back, bobcats can bring hundreds into the thousand + mark out this way.
No one was getting rich, but making some good money before covid.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Fur Market--is there any? - 01/27/22 01:28 AM

Cat's 85.00 to 125.00
Coyotes 35.00 to 50.00
Fox 25.00 to 35.00
Coons 15.00 to 25.00

Live rattlers were 9.25 a pound.

This was back in the 70's. Just about wore my old 783 Marlin out.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Fur Market--is there any? - 02/12/22 01:04 AM

Doesn't get cold enough here in Texas for a good coyote hide. Buyers want stuff from Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas etc. where the under fur is thick ive tried selling north texas hides and no one wants them.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Fur Market--is there any? - 02/12/22 03:19 PM

That was great when you get $20 for a coon

Re: Fur Market--is there any? - 02/16/22 03:48 PM

There's a magazine, Fur-Fish-Game that has a lot of trapping and every month current fur prices.

Re: Fur Market--is there any? - 02/16/22 04:01 PM

Here's a post by Petska about the routes and market for Texas, on FB.

I believe we have Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Antler/Dry Fur routes in place...don’t screen shot yet just in case...In need of Antler...Markets as strong as ever..watch antler pricing link on website...using it as my daily bid sheet...if I feel I need to adjust I can.
Cat market showing some strength...will be buying dry carcass or grease cats...the trick will be running in late March?…the weather could be a factor...don’t thaw carcass or grease cats...freeze grease cats flat so I can see belly...you guys in Texas don’t forget to poke hole in lip along canine and up into eye and put a stick or pencil in there so we can get a tag in there when we see you. I’ll be hauling a freezer but will only have room for so many.
Still need whole frozen grey, red, swift/kit fox....can use a couple hundred armadillos...don’t shoot in head...buying all manners of skulls...buying almost all fur bearer skulls...cow/steer with untipped horns and horn caps are most valuable …a complete list of skulls and others items we buy on November 5th “sales forecast” Facebook post.
Jury still out on coyotes from down there...and who knows what our opinion will be by then...obviously will only be buying only dry coyotes if we buy any at all...the extreme western Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas have the best chance of getting an offer.
Beaver market has had a little life breathed into it as well...not crazy money but will take all those we can get...preferably at that late juncture ...folded in half skin to skin and frozen is preferred. Castor a little cheaper than last year but still has decent value. www.petskafur.net
Posted By: mow

Re: Fur Market--is there any? - 02/19/22 02:21 AM

in 1974-75-76 top coon hides would bring 55 dollars..we had traplines and coon dogs..made 3-4000 $ a month..possums 5$..coyote bounty on ears was 25$
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Fur Market--is there any? - 02/19/22 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Wytex
Here's a post by Petska about the routes and market for Texas, on FB.

I believe we have Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Antler/Dry Fur routes in place...don’t screen shot yet just in case...In need of Antler...Markets as strong as ever..watch antler pricing link on website...using it as my daily bid sheet...if I feel I need to adjust I can.
Cat market showing some strength...will be buying dry carcass or grease cats...the trick will be running in late March?…the weather could be a factor...don’t thaw carcass or grease cats...freeze grease cats flat so I can see belly...you guys in Texas don’t forget to poke hole in lip along canine and up into eye and put a stick or pencil in there so we can get a tag in there when we see you. I’ll be hauling a freezer but will only have room for so many.
Still need whole frozen grey, red, swift/kit fox....can use a couple hundred armadillos...don’t shoot in head...buying all manners of skulls...buying almost all fur bearer skulls...cow/steer with untipped horns and horn caps are most valuable …a complete list of skulls and others items we buy on November 5th “sales forecast” Facebook post.
Jury still out on coyotes from down there...and who knows what our opinion will be by then...obviously will only be buying only dry coyotes if we buy any at all...the extreme western Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas have the best chance of getting an offer.
Beaver market has had a little life breathed into it as well...not crazy money but will take all those we can get...preferably at that late juncture ...folded in half skin to skin and frozen is preferred. Castor a little cheaper than last year but still has decent value. www.petskafur.net

On their handling and hide care web page regarding coyotes. Good to know. Never heard of that before. Some other good tips on there as well. https://petskafur.net/fur-handling/

"Cut artery on inside front leg at elbow…we are finding this to be an excellent method of bleeding out a coyote and increasing your odds of preserving your harvest…especially in mild weather scenarios."

Re: Fur Market--is there any? - 02/19/22 03:14 PM

The Petska guy will show up with a trailer full of unskinned coyotes most times he stops. I never understood folks not taking the time to flesh and dry their hides for the extra money but hey I guess the $10-15 he gives for unskinned is worth it for some.
Sad to see nice bobcats frozen whole in his truck as well but I understand some do not know how to skin or flesh.

Meeting a buyer tomorrow morning to see what they offer on our bobcats and coyotes, Petska comes in March if we don't sell in the morning.

Re: Fur Market--is there any? - 02/22/22 02:48 PM

There are a lot of historic black powder shooters that want furs and usually the fur doesn't need to be that great- one of the few outlets left to sell.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum