Texas Hunting Forum

First blood with the SightMark Wraith

Posted By: mikei

First blood with the SightMark Wraith - 11/20/21 03:42 AM

I went out this evening to see if I could reduce the number of members of a sounder of hogs that was visiting one of my feeders regularly. They were showing up every evening, for the last 4 evenings, right at 7:30, to dine on corn that I have been putting out to feed the local deer population. I got to the blind at 5:30, got my shootin' stuff together: .223 Wylde with the new Wraith NV installed and zeroed in. And began the wait. Scanning with my nifty little NV monocular as the darkness closed in. 7:30 came and went, with nary a piggy making an appearance. About a quarter to 8, I picked up a couple of sets of eyeballs bouncing my way, and sure enough two raccoons, the size of VW Beetles, showed up and began chowing down on my DEER/HOG corn. I watched them a while, hoping the pigs would show, but finally decided to take out the larger of the VW's. He died a violent death with a GSW to the cranial area from the strike of a Hornady V-MAX. One less chicken eatin', egg eatin', deer feeder destroyin' varmint shuffled off to Coon Heaven. About a million more to go, just here in Mason County!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: redhaze

Re: First blood with the SightMark Wraith - 11/20/21 11:19 AM

clap
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: First blood with the SightMark Wraith - 11/20/21 02:28 PM

Nice shot

Re: First blood with the SightMark Wraith - 11/20/21 03:37 PM

The particular load I use for varmint/vermin control in my Wylde is:
Hornady 60 g. V-MAX, cat. # 22281
25,9 g. of BL-C (2)
CCI #450 Small Rifle Magnum primer
COL is 2.250
MV is 3013

The range to the coon last night was 102 yards, so, when bullet struck coon face, it was obviously a bit less than 3013, but it didn't seem to matter to the coon.

Re: First blood with the SightMark Wraith - 11/20/21 08:15 PM

I returned this morning to take the coon to the bone yard and generally police the area, refilling the hog log and loading the deer feeder. Much to my surprise, the coon was gone! I pulled the SD card on the game cam and, sure enough, a large hog came in and dragged him off for a private luncheon/dinner!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: First blood with the SightMark Wraith - 11/21/21 01:08 AM

Glad you put a hurting on them. I trapped 29 last year and at least in my area they are now thinned out considerably. Keep after them.

Re: First blood with the SightMark Wraith - 11/21/21 03:09 AM

Man that’s pretty cool
Posted By: Jroutdoors

Re: First blood with the SightMark Wraith - 11/23/21 01:17 AM

Wow
Posted By: jerbisho

Re: First blood with the SightMark Wraith - 12/20/21 03:27 AM

i'm curious about the PVC in the picture.... I'm assuming that's the hog log??? Please enlighten me....

Re: First blood with the SightMark Wraith - 12/20/21 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by jerbisho
i'm curious about the PVC in the picture.... I'm assuming that's the hog log??? Please enlighten me....

Yes, that's a hog log. The logs help keep the hogs busy for long periods of time as they roll 'em around, sucking up the corn kernels.
Posted By: yotehater

Re: First blood with the SightMark Wraith - 12/20/21 03:22 PM

Amazing how hogs will eat anything and everything.

Like Wu's pigs.

'Course it won't matter to Wu's pigs'
Posted By: Rche

Re: First blood with the SightMark Wraith - 12/20/21 05:44 PM

Agree, "hogs will eat anything and everything".
My dispatched Coon carcasses disappear off of my bone pile within a day or two...the ones eaten by winged carrion always leave a little fur remaining...however, most are gone completely due to coyotes and feral hogs dragging them off to feed elsewhere. I have tracked the drag trails and found feral hog nesting areas to add to my hog stalk hunting route.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: First blood with the SightMark Wraith - 04/28/22 07:47 PM

not many things a hog won't eat

Re: First blood with the SightMark Wraith - 04/28/22 10:13 PM

😳
Posted By: 603Country

Re: First blood with the SightMark Wraith - 04/28/22 11:33 PM

Mikei, what NV monocular are you using?
Posted By: trophybuck135

Re: First blood with the SightMark Wraith - 05/08/22 02:09 AM

nice