Texas Hunting Forum

Shy coyotes

Posted By: Inge0071

Shy coyotes - 10/13/21 01:16 PM

Need some tips:

I've got a large pack of coyotes that move through every few days. Killing calves, fawn, and pretty much anything small with fur or feathers.

The hoodlums one ranch over don't work or go to school. All they do is blast their robocaller. So the dogs are educated. They don't move during the day on my place and, at night, stick to the brush when closer than 300.

Short of inviting the kids over to scare the coyotes off, any suggestions?
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Shy coyotes - 10/13/21 09:06 PM

Sounds like blasting a robocaller is the trick. lol
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: Shy coyotes - 10/13/21 11:38 PM

Try a gut pile in a small cutout in the woods that you can set up on.

Re: Shy coyotes - 10/14/21 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Whack n stack
Try a gut pile in a small cutout in the woods that you can set up on.

Good idea. Thanks.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Shy coyotes - 10/14/21 04:55 AM

Location? I don’t hunt coyotes during the day anymore as thermal scopes have made it far to easy to be successful at night. That being said, I only use mouth calls and never electronic calls for this very reason.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Shy coyotes - 10/14/21 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Location? I don’t hunt coyotes during the day anymore as thermal scopes have made it far to easy to be successful at night. That being said, I only use mouth calls and never electronic calls for this very reason.

Good idea. Your mouth calls are producing more realistic sounds as they go ultrasonic, none of the e-callers on the market today go to those frequencies while all distress sounds and vocalizations that we have tested to date go ultrasonic.
Adios,
Gary

Re: Shy coyotes - 10/14/21 05:43 PM

Out past Brady. Rough country.

You're right re thermals. My NV equipment isn't great around brush. And they stay out of the pastures/airstrip during the day. One too many got plugged from afar.
Posted By: slippinaround

Re: Shy coyotes - 10/27/21 01:26 PM

Someone told me about setting up a gut box with snares for coyotes. I haven’t tried it myself but the person who told me about it said it works for him. If anyone on here has tried something like this Id like to hear their opinion. I have never targeted coyotes before but I’m going to have to start doing so—-they have really made an impact on my deer herd the past couple of years.

Build a wooden box with a hole on 2 sides big enough for a coyote to enter. The top is hinged so can open and place hog guts inside the box. Place snares at entrance to the holes. Brush up the box to disguise it. Unsure the dimensions of the box. Maybe 3’ square? It seems something so square and unnatural would cause them to shy away from it no matter how much it’s brushed up. Maybe if you built the same concept with brush that has openings to enter with the snares?

Any opinions on this?
Posted By: Dzhitshard

Re: Shy coyotes - 10/30/21 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Inge0071

Out past Brady. Rough country.

You're right re thermals. My NV equipment isn't great around brush. And they stay out of the pastures/airstrip during the day. One too many got plugged from afar.

I've shot a handful a bit west of town out there recently.

I watched 6 dogging down a calf and momma for a bit last week 300 or so hundred yards off the property line & I was a little sick about not being able to do anything about it. The next night after I got permission to shoot across the fence line I got one of them but a second ran in line with a building so I had to let it go.

the last time I successfully called one in they sounded off real close when I had my pig call going pretty low on a feeding sounder.

They were standing there about a minute later in the brush line looking at the dead boar I shot a few minutes earlier when the bigger female caught me in the open so I had to shoot early. A couple got away but at least she didn't. The others must have been young because I caught sight of them moving around in the brushline a couple times as I was picking up everything.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum