Texas Hunting Forum

Escapee raccoon

Posted By: 603Country

Escapee raccoon - 08/06/21 06:52 PM

I put out some dog proof coon traps the other night, and baited them with marshmallows. I chained them up, but was one short of screw together steel couplers for the chains. For the other one I had a big spring closure loop, and that’s the one where I caught a coon. I went out back and found him in the trap. Didn’t feel like shooting him right then (3 am). At 7 am he was gone, and took the trap with him. Dang coon must have solved the spring closure problem. Impressive…and irritating.

Coons 1, Kirk 0
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Escapee raccoon - 08/06/21 07:10 PM

Maybe you and sa hunter can form a support group.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Escapee raccoon - 08/07/21 12:05 AM

I tried marshmallows in my Dukes, but the ants wore them out. Switched to cheap dry cat food and that works much better. I fill the tube about 2/3rds. I worry about loosing one of my traps, but thankfully have not yet. I'll be setting mine tomorrow, noticed on game cams I got 4 at one feeder that spend way too much time there.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Escapee raccoon - 08/07/21 12:07 AM

9 years ago I bought 12 Duke DP traps. I now only have 3 left. All were secured by a chain and wire or chain a quick link to a tree, a post, a ground anchor or pipe feeder leg inside a feed pen. A few the coon broke the wire. One he pulled the "S" hook off the swivel at a water trough with a trail cam set on the trough. Picture before when trap was there and then after when trap was gone. No coon or any animal...just a missing trap. The others were tied securely to a hog trap with a doubled up piece of 14 gauge tie wire. I think either a hog or coyote found the coon in the trap and ripped the trapped off the hog trap. Took the coon and the trap.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Escapee raccoon - 08/07/21 12:09 AM

Keep mine attached to eye bolts on the feeder legs.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Escapee raccoon - 08/07/21 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Stompy
I tried marshmallows in my Dukes, but the ants wore them out. Switched to cheap dry cat food and that works much better. I fill the tube about 2/3rds. I worry about loosing one of my traps, but thankfully have not yet. I'll be setting mine tomorrow, noticed on game cams I got 4 at one feeder that spend way too much time there.

Cheap store brand "Fruit Loops" have been working for me. Took out 7 of the little rascal's last weekend.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Escapee raccoon - 08/07/21 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Originally Posted by Stompy

Cheap store brand "Fruit Loops" have been working for me. Took out 7 of the little rascal's last weekend.

I switched to a cotton ball sprayed with either fish attractant spray or Pam cooking spray. Both work but fireants can still eat a cottonball over period of time. But cotton ball works well if you keep it below the trigger. It will last depending the amount of fireants or till the coon destroys it. Fireants are heck on just about any bait form IME.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Escapee raccoon - 08/09/21 01:55 PM

Put your dog on his trail. As stirred up as he is, should be leaving lots of scent.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Escapee raccoon - 08/11/21 08:39 PM

Same feed that was in the protein feeder. All are trapped and one had both paws hungup.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Escapee raccoon - 08/11/21 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper
Keep mine attached to eye bolts on the feeder legs.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We do similar and have good success. Have had a few twist their paw off after they run around the pole a few times and basically make that swivel feature in the trap useless. Still catch way more than we lose.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Escapee raccoon - 08/11/21 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Cheap store brand "Fruit Loops" have been working for me.

Thanks for the tip! up
Posted By: maximum

Re: Escapee raccoon - 08/16/21 12:04 AM

JMHO- every type and size of trap I have gets at least
1 MB Crunch Proof swivel, and some get 2
Cheap insurance IMO

Crazy animals can do an alligator death roll and
make hash out of a good trap
Advice given to me years back from a few old experienced
trappers for the same price they charged me back then

Attached picture 20210815_183925.jpg
Attached picture 20210815_184008.jpg
Attached picture 20210815_184038.jpg
Attached picture 20210815_184016.jpg
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Escapee raccoon - 08/16/21 12:23 AM

I had one this weekend bend the heck out of the hog panel it was attached to. Strong little buggers. Only got 4 and a possum this weekend. Strong Sat evening rain probably didn't help.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Escapee raccoon - 08/16/21 05:01 PM

Nice catch hook n line
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Escapee raccoon - 08/16/21 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Biscuit
Nice catch hook n line

Thanks
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum