Texas Hunting Forum

Coyote calling at night time

Posted By: Kodyjoe2016

Coyote calling at night time - 02/03/21 09:26 PM

Got the high rack in the truck to go do a little calling tonite. When yall are calling , once you start shing the spotlite ,do yall keep shining or stop an call more then turn it back on. I like going in thedaytime cause i like watching them run in to the decoy. Got bout 15 places to try tonite but probly wont make them all
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Coyote calling at night time - 02/03/21 11:15 PM

Haven’t hunted with spotlight in a few years. I run a thermal now, but calling is pretty much the same. Call for 15 seconds, scan for a few minutes. Call for 15 seconds, scan for a few minutes. As for running the light, only use the light while scanning

Re: Coyote calling at night time - 02/03/21 11:31 PM

Ok thank you sir Bout what i usually do Was watching the tv show Night Crew and they never turn the light off but i have never done it that way.
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Coyote calling at night time - 02/04/21 12:18 AM

When I start a set the light goes on and stays on until I’m done with the set. Once I get in my tower I always do a quick scan before calling. Busted a few curious yotes hanging around the truck.
Posted By: Yellowhammer

Re: Coyote calling at night time - 02/04/21 12:33 AM

How can you see one coming if the light is off? Leave it on from start to finish.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Coyote calling at night time - 02/04/21 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Call for 15 seconds, scan for a few minutes. Call for 15 seconds, scan for a few minutes. As for running the light, only use the light while scanning

I do the same. though i haven't gone out much this year.... just lazy i guess
yawn

Re: Coyote calling at night time - 02/04/21 08:12 PM

Guess we had a decent night considering the wind gusting to bout 30 mph. Didnt hit but six spots and got 2 big bobcats. They both came in running to a fawn in distress. Had 2 coyotes come in to a female vocal but they went wide and got our wind and they were outa there.
Posted By: cleatas

Re: Coyote calling at night time - 02/04/21 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Revoman
When I start a set the light goes on and stays on until I’m done with the set. Once I get in my tower I always do a quick scan before calling. Busted a few curious yotes hanging around the truck.

This ☝️
Posted By: Tribute

Re: Coyote calling at night time - 02/27/21 12:16 AM

Are night time sets similar to day sets regarding how long you stay there? After a night kill, do you move to a different area?

Re: Coyote calling at night time - 02/27/21 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Tribute
Are night time sets similar to day sets regarding how long you stay there? After a night kill, do you move to a different area?

I spent 3 hours in 1 spot and killed 8 coyotes.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Coyote calling at night time - 02/27/21 02:43 PM

Were you calling constantly for 3 hours? Killing 8 coyotes in one spot while calling for 3 hours would be unusual.
Although I have killed 4 and 1 bobcat in one spot but that only took 17 minutes.
If I remember correctly folks who keep up with that sorta thing say odds go down each minute after eight minute mark as far as calling coyotes is concerned.

I would also add for benefit of OP that going calling with the wind at 30 mph is not advised. As you found the sound cannot travel upwind very far so most animals are going to only hear it downwind and coyotes will smell you and not show themselves and you are just educating and making your future calling tougher. Bobcats don’t pay attention to smell so that worked out for you. Now if you are in a contest you just have to deal with it but for recreational calling I would never screw up good calling ground by calling in winds above about 15 mph.
Posted By: dkhnt

Re: Coyote calling at night time - 02/28/21 09:29 PM

👍👍👍

Re: Coyote calling at night time - 03/03/21 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by DStroud

Were you calling constantly for 3 hours? Killing 8 coyotes in one spot while calling for 3 hours would be unusual.
Although I have killed 4 and 1 bobcat in one spot but that only took 17 minutes.
If I remember correctly folks who keep up with that sorta thing say odds go down each minute after eight minute mark as far as calling coyotes is concerned.

Constantly calling? No. Using mouth calls and calling for 20-30 seconds every couple of minutes. The. Wait and scan for a while. This area had views for 1/2-3/4 miles and once I found the coyote it would sometimes take me 10-15 minutes to call him within range. I only hunt that particular spot maybe 3 times a year, it’s always a high number producing spot with the slowest night being 3 in an hour.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Coyote calling at night time - 03/09/21 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by cleatas
Originally Posted by Revoman

This ☝️

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum