Texas Hunting Forum

Optimal Volume for Electronic Game Call

Posted By: Ed-D

Optimal Volume for Electronic Game Call - 02/03/21 04:03 AM

I'm going to be using an electronic game call to start hunting coyotes. I was wondering if any of you have info on the sweet spot for setting the volume. I am thinking too loud might not sound natural, but I am starting from scratch. I understand not all calls are the same, but still, where do you set your volume? 25%, 50%, 75%?
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Optimal Volume for Electronic Game Call - 02/03/21 04:08 AM

Start low. Even when I drive into an area. I’m surprised how quickly I call a dog in. I’ve had sits where I shot a dog in under a minute of being there.

I strongly hate electronic calls for a variety of reasons. Pick up some mouth calls and practice, you’ll be amazed at how many more dogs you call in and how close you can get them.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Optimal Volume for Electronic Game Call - 02/03/21 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Start low. Even when I drive into an area. I’m surprised how quickly I call a dog in. I’ve had sits where I shot a dog in under a minute of being there.

I strongly hate electronic calls for a variety of reasons. Pick up some mouth calls and practice, you’ll be amazed at how many more dogs you call in and how close you can get them.

Wade is correct. The reason that hand calls are more productive is simply because many produce ultrasonic frequencies just as prey animals do, so they are producing a more realistic sound than the e-callers on the market today.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Optimal Volume for Electronic Game Call - 02/03/21 03:06 PM

Starting low is probably fine for dogs ...... but for coyotes I usually start at a medium volume so 50-60% and maybe later go up a little louder just to reach out a little farther. I have heard a few hurt prey animals and they don’t start low and then work up.
Mouth/ hand calls do work well and don’t overlook them.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Optimal Volume for Electronic Game Call - 02/03/21 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ed-D
I'm going to be using an electronic game call to start hunting coyotes. I was wondering if any of you have info on the sweet spot for setting the volume. I am thinking too loud might not sound natural, but I am starting from scratch. I understand not all calls are the same, but still, where do you set your volume? 25%, 50%, 75%?

I don’t know where you’re at, but I’m always looking for a place to coyote hunt and I’d be happy to show you the thrill and advantages of mouth calls.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum