Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Raccoons - 01/31/21 11:08 PM

up
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Raccoons - 02/04/21 04:00 AM

Turkeys and Quail will be glad.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Raccoons - 02/04/21 12:34 PM

Nicely done. They are one of the more destructive vermin out there, and if their population isn't controlled they will do major damage to anything smaller than they are!
Posted By: 1955

Re: Raccoons - 02/04/21 02:09 PM

đź‘Ť
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Raccoons - 02/04/21 11:19 PM

Catching them around the feeder is easy using DP so I’m trying to stay sharp and catch them in their home territory
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Raccoons - 05/12/21 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Biscuit
Catching them around the feeder is easy using DP so I’m trying to stay sharp and catch them in their home territory

That's what I am having to resort to. DDP's.

I've sniped 7 so far off of one feeder, but they are getting wise and coming in later and later.

I'm just not sitting on a stand until midnight to shoot one or two coons.

So I have some DDP's on order. Should be here in a couple of days.

[Linked Image]

Good job everyone, keep them thinned out. I had no idea I had so many. Seems as soon as I get rid of some....here come the 'replacements'.

Re: Raccoons - 05/12/21 12:48 PM

Yeah for sure , they send reinforcements
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Raccoons - 05/12/21 01:33 PM

DDPs and dry cat food works well for me. I have a large excavator rented for grubbing mesquites. I opened the door to check the oil one morning and there was a huge boar coon sitting on the pump housing staring back at me. Since Caterpillar would frown on me shooting a coon in the engine bay of a $300K machine, I left the door open and started the machine and he finally bounced. It happened again two days later so that evening I set three DDP traps, baited with dry cat food, around the excavator when I shut it down for the day. The next morning I had three full traps. Word must have gotten around because I haven't seen any more in or on the machine. I do, however, slowly open the door to check the oil every morning so I don't have to worry about wearing a startled coon for a hat.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Raccoons - 05/12/21 01:57 PM

When we start getting more photos of raccoons than any other species on cameras, I go into thinning mode. Had that earlier this year and DDP'd 14 or 15 over a couple of weeks. Fewer photos of bandits for now, but I'm sure they'll be back soon enough and we'll repeat.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Raccoons - 05/12/21 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bar-D
I do, however, slowly open the door to check the oil every morning so I don't have to worry about wearing a startled coon for a hat.

That paints quite the picture...
roflmao
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Raccoons - 05/12/21 10:02 PM

Watch Mountain Men on TV for more information.
Posted By: TexShooter101

Re: Raccoons - 05/13/21 02:44 PM

DDP awesome to catch some coons

Re: Raccoons - 05/14/21 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by TexShooter101

My new ones showed up today. Have some older rusty ones stored away.

Going get these set tomorrow. No more Mr. Nice Guy.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Raccoons - 05/14/21 12:39 PM

Good luck flint

Re: Raccoons - 05/14/21 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Biscuit
Good luck flint

Thank You Sir.

Got three traps set this morning.

All attached to the feeder legs.

So...now we wait. Hopefully have some luck....as I am tired of waiting on stand for them to show up so I can 'snipe' one or two.

Surely this will be more effective.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hope the hogs don't come around and root them up. Had that happen before.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Raccoons - 05/15/21 10:13 AM

[Linked Image]
I've caught gobs of coons around my feeders over the years. I even have caught a couple of these versions..
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Raccoons - 05/15/21 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper

I have never retired a DP trap because it broke, They are pretty dang reliable. Them old rusty ones work just fine.

Re: Raccoons - 05/15/21 05:22 PM

Well....out of three traps, only had one Corn Bandit.

They got the cotton ball out of one trap without setting it off. Another trap looked unexplored and the last one had a 'taker'. One 'busted' is better than none I suppose.

[Linked Image]

Re: Raccoons - 05/17/21 05:46 PM

Odd Markings. wink

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mikei

Re: Raccoons - 05/17/21 06:56 PM

Don't give up on them; ;and try a bit of corn for bait. They can sometimes snag a bit of the cotton balls and pull them out. Also, check the "bite" on the trigger mechanism and make sure it's no more than half.

Re: Raccoons - 05/17/21 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by mikei
Don't give up on them; ;and try a bit of corn for bait. They can sometimes snag a bit of the cotton balls and pull them out. Also, check the "bite" on the trigger mechanism and make sure it's no more than half.

I put corn in the them the second time I set them....but for some reason the Coons have left the feeder.

Never had that happen before. In the past I've caught several in one night and the remaining ones would be back the next day.
Posted By: TLew

Re: Raccoons - 06/07/21 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
Originally Posted by flintknapper

I have never retired a DP trap because it broke, They are pretty dang reliable. Them old rusty ones work just fine.

I've had to retire 3 DP traps. They work fantastic, no doubt, but something didn't care about it's teeth. Springs were bent to smithereens like a coyote gnawed on them -- no way a coon did it.

On a separate note, I probably have a few 3 legged coons walking around the place too. More than once I have set a trap in the afternoon, come back the next morning only to find a leg or paw still in it.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Raccoons - 06/28/21 04:23 PM

up
Posted By: TMonjure

Re: Raccoons - 07/01/21 05:13 AM

Trapped 10 last week with the DP traps, coons are bad right now. Have them coming to the feeders at noon.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Raccoons - 07/01/21 03:27 PM

I bought some DP traps but haven’t used them yet. Been sniping the coons a while, and they seem to not be showing up now. I’ll put the traps out anyway.

Re: Raccoons - 07/01/21 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
I bought some DP traps but haven’t used them yet. Been sniping the coons a while, and they seem to not be showing up now. I’ll put the traps out anyway.

Still fun to run the traps
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum