Texas Hunting Forum

Badger question

Posted By: GusWayne

Badger question - 01/24/21 01:35 AM

About 10 years ago we shot a badger, well my father in law did on our place

Today, I stumbled across 2 holes in the ground about 18” diameter

Fresh dirt type holes, 2 holes on 220 acres that I found. It wasn’t like 2 holes 50 foot apart type deal, I had walked a ways before I stumbled onto the next hole

I didn’t take a pic but thought of a badger hole

What else would have a den like this?

Posted By: 22Mules

Re: Badger question - 01/24/21 02:15 AM

Armadillo maybe, just a guess.

Re: Badger question - 01/24/21 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by 22Mules
Armadillo maybe, just a guess.

Possibly, I’ve never saw another badger since

Had my hopes up
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Badger question - 01/24/21 04:39 AM

You will know if it's a badger because they will move a cubic yard or more of dirt and It will be piled up at the entrance. An armadillo doesn't move but just a few cubic feet of dirt. Huge difference.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Badger question - 01/24/21 03:12 PM

Yep, badgers did a big hole with lots of dirt piled up.

Re: Badger question - 01/24/21 07:39 PM

Ok, not a badger hole then dangit

Was for sure fresh holes but only had a moderate amount of dirt around

Re: Badger question - 01/24/21 07:39 PM

A neighbor, about a mile away claims to have a resident badger is what got me to thinking

I’ve never saw another one than ours
Posted By: WtxYoteHunter

Re: Badger question - 01/26/21 01:18 AM

My hunting area has a good pop of badgers. I normally smell badgers before i catch a glympse. If its a fresh den it will have that definite badger stank. Just need to find a buddy or ex wife to give the opening a smell test. grin
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Badger question - 01/26/21 01:23 AM

We’re there any bird dogs around?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Badger question - 02/03/21 05:10 AM

My brother saw a badger several years ago while hunting. He saw 2 dogs come running out of the brush 200 yards away chasing something , he pulled up his gun and looked through scope and they were chasing a badger.
They disappeared into the brush and a few seconds later the dogs started yelping and whimpering and they were headed back the way they came from, tails tucked.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Badger question - 03/09/21 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by TCM3
My brother saw a badger several years ago while hunting. He saw 2 dogs come running out of the brush 200 yards away chasing something , he pulled up his gun and looked through scope and they were chasing a badger.
They disappeared into the brush and a few seconds later the dogs started yelping and whimpering and they were headed back the way they came from, tails tucked.

yep, pound for pound they are mean.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Badger question - 03/09/21 07:57 PM

pound fer pound has nothing to do with it. they are bad to the bone
Posted By: decook

Re: Badger question - 03/09/21 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by TCM3

I remember a video of a dog chasing a javelina into the brush, and a couple seconds later the dos was hauling aZZ back to the deer blind with that javi hot on his tail. The hunters were laughing their butts off the whole video. I thought it might be on the THF where I saw it. Sounds similar to your brother TCM3
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Badger question - 03/10/21 10:37 PM

Could be where a coyote was trying to dig out an armadillo or other delicacy...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum