Texas Hunting Forum

Duke's coon trapping thread

Posted By: AMF

Duke's coon trapping thread - 09/04/20 07:28 PM

A friend that owns about a thousand acres asked me if I would help him with coons on the place. Bein' an old Virginia mountain hillbilly and long time coon hunter, I told him I'd be happy to help. I spent the morning going through his live traps, doin' a little maintenance and tuning them up. I set five traps before I left at noon.

His wife has been having problems with the coons attacking her chickens and eating the eggs. I told him I have a warrant for Rocky's arrest. Like Robocop said, "Dead or alive, you're coming with me."

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Numero uno - 09/04/20 07:50 PM

good stuff
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Numero uno - 09/04/20 07:54 PM

up
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Numero uno - 09/04/20 08:14 PM

cheers
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Numero uno - 09/05/20 04:19 PM

Good Stuff !!

Re: Numero uno - 09/05/20 08:47 PM

No. 2. Big, fat sow.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Numero uno - 09/05/20 08:52 PM

Well done! Keep after 'em. up

Re: Numero uno - 09/06/20 06:55 PM

3 & 4.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Numero uno - 09/06/20 10:55 PM

Keep after them, there are more where those came from.
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Numero uno - 09/06/20 11:18 PM

cheers
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Numero uno - 09/07/20 12:28 AM

Good job. up

Re: Numero uno - 09/07/20 01:33 AM

Love the pics - keep em coming

Re: Numero uno - 09/07/20 04:36 PM

Numbers 5 & 6.

[Linked Image]

This was a sow and a yearling. I had moved one of the traps to the edge of the shallow end of the bass pond. I drove the John Deere Gator to within 20 feet of the trap and they didn't move. I eased up to the trap with my rifle and discovered they were both sound asleep. The sow woke up in the promised land.

Re: Numero uno - 09/08/20 12:46 PM

up

Re: Numero uno - 09/08/20 07:06 PM

Number 7 in the books. No pics.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Numero uno - 09/08/20 10:58 PM

Good deal. I'm hoping for similar success this weekend. I have at least one tall enough that he's getting into my protein. Saw him on pics from the last trip. I have 4 Dukes around the pen and I just bought 4 more.

Re: Numero uno - 09/09/20 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Good deal. I'm hoping for similar success this weekend. I have at least one tall enough that he's getting into my protein. Saw him on pics from the last trip. I have 4 Dukes around the pen and I just bought 4 more.

I assume you mean DPs? If so, try this; Work a little peanut butter into a cotton ball and push it into the bottom of the trap.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: varmit_master

Re: Numero uno - 09/09/20 08:35 PM

I would like to trap like that. I have 8 dz of mostly dukes. With a few z traps, grizz, and diablo dp traps. I have tried cat and dog food. Caught a few last winter
. I took salted cut bait [skip jack] and other fish stuff. I bought stuff to cure it right this yr. Take a golf ball or make a cover for your traps. Coons will fip them off. Saves your bait from mice. After a while coons get smart to them. If u can take take a plastic square bucket. Cut places where a set 160 body trap will side in. Drill holes in back of bucket. When u start to set it put a small rock inside bucket. Then put a limp or rock on top of bucket. Put trap in. U can use dry or wet or fish. U will hammer some coons. Plus u will pickup Bobcats in this set. The white bucket will attract coons by sight . They will check it out. I skin easily 50 to 60 coons a yr. I just do it part time. But this yr going to hit them harder. My gold is 10 dz dog proof traps to run. I ran closed to 2 dz last yr. Looking forward to get to run them all one day.

Re: Numero uno - 09/15/20 01:16 AM

Number 8 this morning.

Re: Numero uno - 09/16/20 11:24 PM

Two days in a row now, no coons. My friend thinks we might have wiped out that particular clan. If the traps are empty tomorrow, I'm gonna shut 'em down and put 'em away until evidence turns up of more dropping by for a visit.

Re: Numero uno - 09/17/20 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Duke107
Two days in a row now, no coons. My friend thinks we might have wiped out that particular clan. If the traps are empty tomorrow, I'm gonna shut 'em down and put 'em away until evidence turns up of more dropping by for a visit.

Nice work sir
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Numero uno - 09/22/20 07:38 PM

Love the dog proof traps/

[Linked Image]

Greedy guy

[Linked Image]

Re: Numero uno - 09/22/20 11:36 PM

Good deal
Posted By: Dave Scott

Re: Numero uno - 09/23/20 06:18 PM

I thought corn, slightly burnt, etc. was good coon bait. Is it okay to sell the meat if anyone wants it? I thought some folks would give you about $10 for the meat?
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Numero uno - 09/25/20 01:32 PM

I'm not sure there's a bad bait to use but we've had great success with a mix of mini marshmallows and fruit loops (cheap walmart version in bulk bag). Drop a few to the bottom of the trap and a few outside...............done deal.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Numero uno - 09/25/20 01:55 PM

I just used what they were stealing from my feeder. I just put a trap at each leg then grabbed a little golden nugget from the funnel and put a couple pieces in each trap. One got both his front paws caught. You'd think he would have learned when the first trap grabbed him.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Numero uno - 09/27/20 01:07 AM

Good job Duke. You got 8 in less time than it took SAHunter to get one.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Numero uno - 09/29/20 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Good job Duke. You got 8 in less time than it took SAHunter to get one.

roflmao
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum