Texas Hunting Forum

Black coyotes?

Posted By: KWood_TSU

Black coyotes? - 07/22/20 12:53 PM

So I have trail cam pic after trail cam pic of coyotes that are pretty dang black. I'll get some pics of tan colored ones, but most are black.
Anyone have any idea? Below is a tan and black traveling together.

I finally shot one, and it was luck I guess. Off hand with my 9mm at 79 yards. When it dropped I didn't believe it myself, that red dot sight sure is nice.
This is just a pup, still has puppy teeth and actually has a white patch on it's chest.
Anyone know anything about why my coyotes are mainly black?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ktexas14

Re: Black coyotes? - 07/22/20 05:33 PM

I dont know, but I am here to see what people have to say about it. Pretty cool
Posted By: deckh

Re: Black coyotes? - 07/22/20 06:42 PM

Melanism. It occurs in nature. Goggle for more details.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Black coyotes? - 07/22/20 07:59 PM

good pics
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Black coyotes? - 07/22/20 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by deckh

I'm surprised that it's a dominant trait though here on the ranch
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Black coyotes? - 07/22/20 10:42 PM

same reason there are black wolves
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Black coyotes? - 07/22/20 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by deckh

Strangely, for the canids, it appears to "occur in nature" after crossbreeding with domestic dogs.
https://academic.oup.com/mbe/article/35/5/1190/4913657

And while melanism may occur in nature, it does NOT occur in mountain lions. dead_horse

Re: Black coyotes? - 07/23/20 12:56 AM

I had a great uncle that spent 40+ years in the north of Alaska, saw lots of black wolves, maybe they crossed with run away sled dogs?
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Black coyotes? - 07/23/20 01:19 PM

Cool looking yote.
Posted By: BigLou

Re: Black coyotes? - 07/23/20 07:16 PM

I have seen a few black wolves in Alaska, think they are pretty common. Here is one I killed in 2016 (he was attacking a bear!)

btw, it is crazy to me that people want to protect these vicious critters. In my experience, they are the apex predator...and kill for sport..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: breadman

Re: Black coyotes? - 07/23/20 09:30 PM

i dont know , but i want one.
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Black coyotes? - 07/24/20 12:12 AM

Cool looking Yote. I have also heard about the black coming from crossing with a dog, but Melanism does occur in a lot of different animals.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Black coyotes? - 07/24/20 02:02 AM

I vote melanistic.
Posted By: fmrmbmlm

Re: Black coyotes? - 07/24/20 03:40 AM

About 30 years ago in east Williamson county saw one in a field for 2-3 days, it was with 2 others and it was much larger. Don't know if it was the same one I saw another time for a couple days about 4 miles as the crow flies from the first sighting. Never seen one again.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Black coyotes? - 07/24/20 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Son of a Blitch
I vote melanistic.

X2
Posted By: varmit_master

Re: Black coyotes? - 07/24/20 07:30 AM

Nice one. First coyote I ever trapped was black. From a distance i thought I had a black dog. But as I got closer I could see the difference. I was young when I caught it.

Re: Black coyotes? - 07/24/20 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by BigLou
I have seen a few black wolves in Alaska, think they are pretty common. Here is one I killed in 2016 (he was attacking a bear!)

btw, it is crazy to me that people want to protect these vicious critters. In my experience, they are the apex predator...and kill for sport..

[Linked Image]

wow thats beautiful
Posted By: Ringtail

Re: Black coyotes? - 08/04/20 04:15 PM

Don't put that picture on the Texas Black Panther site or some people on there will claim that your picture is actually a black panther about to attack a grey coyote!! dead_horse
Posted By: deuce12

Re: Black coyotes? - 08/05/20 07:40 PM

Foxtrot shot one in a contest a few years back, it was pretty cool to see running off the hill at us. He has it mounted in his living room now. Maybe he can share the pic.
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Black coyotes? - 08/05/20 07:43 PM

I do have one...not sure that I can post a pic. Lemme try

Re: Black coyotes? - 08/05/20 07:52 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Black coyotes? - 08/05/20 07:54 PM

Roughly 70 yds with a shotgun in a yote tourney. Fun morning.
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Black coyotes? - 08/05/20 08:25 PM

That cool as heck!

Re: Black coyotes? - 08/09/20 01:10 AM

Really cool
Posted By: Chopperdrvr

Re: Black coyotes? - 08/09/20 01:51 AM

I was lucky enough to kill three in one season at a friends place in Mississippi. I wish I had the forethought to get one of them mounted. I did skin one out and my daughter tanned the hide and hung it on the wall in her house. It's definitely a conversation starter. I did some research about them after seeing numerous trail cam pic and discovered they are fairly common, but not really. They are considered a trophy because of the relative scarceness.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Black coyotes? - 08/09/20 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by Chopperdrvr
I was lucky enough to kill three in one season at a friends place in Mississippi. I wish I had the forethought to get one of them mounted. I did skin one out and my daughter tanned the hide and hung it on the wall in her house. It's definitely a conversation starter. I did some research about them after seeing numerous trail cam pic and discovered they are fairly common, but not really. They are considered a trophy because of the relative scarceness.

up
Posted By: AMF

Re: Black coyotes? - 08/09/20 11:35 AM

A friend in the mountains of Virginia killed two a coupla' days ago.
Posted By: activescrape

Re: Black coyotes? - 08/10/20 01:37 AM

[Linked Image]
Here's a black one mounted howling at my place.He's is from Mississippi though.
Posted By: cos

Re: Black coyotes? - 08/10/20 01:43 AM

I killed a black Coyote about 15 yrs ago. Gave to my buddy and he had it mounted. Havent seen one since.
That 79 yard shot with a 9mm is pretty impressive,
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Black coyotes? - 08/11/20 03:59 AM

I have called in 8 of them 3 were in Mississippi and 5 here in Texas. There are just Melanistic coyotes just like Melanistic squirrels but as DN mentioned it does not occur in Mountain Lions. I am not sure if there are Melanistic Sasquatch’s but next time I run into Darryl I will ask him.

Re: Black coyotes? - 08/11/20 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
So I have trail cam pic after trail cam pic of coyotes that are pretty dang black. I'll get some pics of tan colored ones, but most are black.
Anyone have any idea? Below is a tan and black traveling together.

I finally shot one, and it was luck I guess. Off hand with my 9mm at 79 yards. When it dropped I didn't believe it myself, that red dot sight sure is nice.
This is just a pup, still has puppy teeth and actually has a white patch on it's chest.
Anyone know anything about why my coyotes are mainly black?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

nidea
Posted By: Chopperdrvr

Re: Black coyotes? - 08/11/20 11:25 PM

These are the three I killed in Mississippi. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TLew

Re: Black coyotes? - 08/18/20 07:37 PM

Saw one this weekend and my brain was confused long enough that it got away before I stopped the SxS
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Black coyotes? - 09/07/20 04:14 AM

Never seen a completely black one (melanistic) on our property, but we do have some with very dark coats from time to time.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TXhogkilr

Re: Black coyotes? - 12/10/20 04:33 PM

I've only seen 1 black coyote in my life (53 years) so that was cool.
Posted By: Tex68w

Re: Black coyotes? - 12/10/20 11:22 PM

Never seen one but I've heard about them, crazy to see this many on this thread.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum