Texas Hunting Forum

Black organs (WARNING, PICTURES)

Posted By: NastyNate33

Black organs (WARNING, PICTURES) - 03/28/20 08:59 PM

I harvest squirrels every day I can during squirrel season. Their great protein and they’re one of the best game meats out there in my opinion. I got this squirrel right at the tail end of the season and When I started cleaning it I noticed something odd. Not only had it been shot by 2 other hunters with poor shot placement but it’s guts where a dark black color and it had a layer of fat on its lower belly I’ve never seen in a squirrel before. I decided to bury the squirrel so nothing else could eat it and it could become a part of the dirt because I didn’t feel safe eating it nor did I want to help spread a disease if that’s what this is. Thank you for accepting me into the forum as well🙏🙏if anyone knows what this could be please let me know so I can better prepare/handle the situation if it ever happens again.

Attached picture A4497AE0-B576-45BA-906E-EAD4A7F895FC.jpeg
Attached picture EFDE06B2-D14D-4B3E-BEAB-0ADF60912D69.jpeg
Attached picture 9A1D83EB-37CF-4A56-9738-53A6F7A57E6F.jpeg
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Black organs (WARNING, PICTURES) - 03/28/20 09:30 PM

Fat looking stuff is fat and mammary glands IMHO. Seen it in lots of different female game taken around the time they are about to have or have babies. If your squirrel was taken end of Winter season it would time right as that is why there is a break in squirrel season from March to April. Black in the stomach and intestines is likely related to what it has been eating. Husk off some Black Walnuts the squirrel had hidden away perhaps. But when it doubt, don't eat it.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Black organs (WARNING, PICTURES) - 03/30/20 12:04 AM

Not a clue, but burying it was a good idea.
Posted By: Tru_texan36

Re: Black organs (WARNING, PICTURES) - 04/08/20 02:44 PM

In my opinion - the fatty looking tissue is possibly an adhesion. If, in fact, the squirrel was shot previously - the resulting injury could have been the source of the adhesion. Not sure on the black organs though - weird.
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Black organs (WARNING, PICTURES) - 04/08/20 03:54 PM

Wow,
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Black organs (WARNING, PICTURES) - 04/08/20 04:17 PM

what did the liver look like?
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Black organs (WARNING, PICTURES) - 04/08/20 05:44 PM

With a name like Nasty Nate you gotta eat that!

Just kidding....that's odd. I've never cleaned a squirrel before but never seen that on any animal.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Black organs (WARNING, PICTURES) - 04/08/20 05:59 PM

That's ridiculous. Burn it
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Black organs (WARNING, PICTURES) - 04/09/20 12:31 AM

Melanosis coli. Lots of causes.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Black organs (WARNING, PICTURES) - 04/11/20 03:28 AM

welcome
Posted By: Jbell99

Re: Black organs (WARNING, PICTURES) - 04/14/20 03:18 AM

I remember during deer season someone posted on one of the hunting pages on Facebook about the same thing but in a deer, he called the game warden and the warden came out and got samples to send off to a lab, he also have the hunter another tag so he could take another deer.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Black organs (WARNING, PICTURES) - 04/14/20 03:43 AM

Another problem with rabbits dying in southern and eastern New Mexico. https://www.krqe.com/news/new-mexico/disease-blamed-for-wild-rabbit-deaths/
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Black organs (WARNING, PICTURES) - 04/14/20 03:51 AM

Hell, I'd have eaten it.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Black organs (WARNING, PICTURES) - 05/11/20 04:46 PM

Pretty odd - think I might have called the game Warden or Wildlife Biologist to ask them.
Posted By: Shaun Russell

Re: Black organs (WARNING, PICTURES) - 07/15/20 12:26 AM

How strange....
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Black organs (WARNING, PICTURES) - 07/16/20 01:07 AM

I'm with Sniper John. I don't see anything dark outside of the digestive tract, indicating that this is something being consumed.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum