Texas Hunting Forum

Avg. coon weight?

Posted By: AMF

Avg. coon weight? - 02/17/20 01:27 PM

On average, how big are the coons in S/E Tx?
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Avg. coon weight? - 02/17/20 04:45 PM

Almost as big as the mosquitoes.
Posted By: TX TCAT

Re: Avg. coon weight? - 02/17/20 05:23 PM

are we talking low fence or high fence coons?
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Avg. coon weight? - 02/17/20 09:15 PM

Low fence..high fence...I wish I’d said that.
Posted By: 22Mules

Re: Avg. coon weight? - 02/18/20 01:26 AM

Big enough to drown a walker hound in 3 feet of water.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Avg. coon weight? - 02/18/20 03:11 PM

Those high fence coons are getting out of control. It's not even hunting anymore.

Here's an east Texas HF coon next to a coyote for scale.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 22Mules

Re: Avg. coon weight? - 02/20/20 01:15 AM

Dang, those trash panda's are eating good.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Avg. coon weight? - 02/20/20 06:04 PM

I've killed a few that were pushing 25 pounds.
If I were to average it up id say about 12 to 15 pounds.
Posted By: AMF

Re: Avg. coon weight? - 03/01/20 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by TCM3

Thank you!
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Avg. coon weight? - 03/01/20 02:45 PM

This sounds right to me. Back in the 70’s when I was a kid the biggest one I ever saw was 24 lbs. It came off chalk mountain, I’m sure there are bigger but I doubt there any meaner. That old boar coon whipped the snot out of 3 hounds.
Posted By: glens

Re: Avg. coon weight? - 03/01/20 07:53 PM

I've trapped a couple in the last 2 days and they were big uns. 25 lbs for sure. That makes 41 since October in almost downtown Kingsland Tx. Lake LBJ area. All these Guys have been large. Feed the Feral Cats a little to keep them around to hammer the Mice population and they come in to eat there chow.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Avg. coon weight? - 03/02/20 02:37 PM

This is about right based on my experiences. Coons are a little smaller here in Menard County than those in Medina County where I was raised. The biggest ones that I remember killing were along Black Creek and a monster near Big Foot. Most around here are 10-14 pounds. The largest one come from the upper Midwest where they live in and around cornfields. I have heard reports of over 40 pounds.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: oldrancher

Re: Avg. coon weight? - 03/02/20 03:06 PM

The bigger ones can become predators and will kill and eat baby lambs, goat kids and probably fawns. We had a problem one year of losing lambs nightly. We found partially eaten carcasses every morning where the sheep had bedded down for the evening, A friend of mine had a pack of Black and Tan hounds he brought over and they treed the largest coon I have ever seen. They treed him right in the middle of the bedded down sheep and there was a freshly killed lamb on the ground. After we killed that coon we never lost another lamb. This was in in Gillespie County near Fredericksburg.

Re: Avg. coon weight? - 03/03/20 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by oldrancher
The bigger ones can become predators and will kill and eat baby lambs, goat kids and probably fawns. We had a problem one year of losing lambs nightly. We found partially eaten carcasses every morning where the sheep had bedded down for the evening, A friend of mine had a pack of Black and Tan hounds he brought over and they treed the largest coon I have ever seen. They treed him right in the middle of the bedded down sheep and there was a freshly killed lamb on the ground. After we killed that coon we never lost another lamb. This was in in Gillespie County near Fredericksburg.

So True! Coons can and do kill lots of lambs and ked goats around Menard. A big coon, usually a boar will kill one a night by catching the lamb or kid in the nose, balling up on the head and eat from the nose back to about the eyes. This is a tale tale sign as no other predator kills in this fashion.
Was it James Blackwell who brought the Black and Tan hounds over?
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: oldrancher

Re: Avg. coon weight? - 03/04/20 02:26 AM

Yes, it was James Blackburn. We hunted a lot together and spent many nights chasing coons with his Black and Tans in the Blanco area.

Re: Avg. coon weight? - 03/04/20 02:30 PM

Yes, I meant Blackburn, memory stumbled a little. I know him from some of the UKC events of the past. Really nice gentleman and always had the Black and Tan hounds.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Avg. coon weight? - 03/04/20 09:47 PM

I've trapped a couple in the 18+ range. Weighed one at 18 and the other was larger by a good bit. Average hides were bringing $13-15 at the time. The buyer paid me $25 for the 18lb'er and $32 for the larger one so he might have been 22-25 lbs. I agree the average is likely 12-15 lbs.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum