Texas Hunting Forum

Squirrel and Rabbit hunting

Posted By: Nibbler

Squirrel and Rabbit hunting - 01/07/20 12:22 AM

I live in Frisco and i'm looking for a place to take my stepson rabbit/squirrel hunting. Does anybody have any areas in mind or know of any? Any help is appreciated!
Posted By: Jiggamitch

Re: Squirrel and Rabbit hunting - 01/11/20 01:17 AM

Lake lavon has public corp land I believe. You can go to caddo national grasslands wma.
Posted By: Jon P

Re: Squirrel and Rabbit hunting - 02/01/20 02:15 AM

LBJ grasslands have some great areas.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Squirrel and Rabbit hunting - 02/04/20 10:01 PM

I believe you can hunt in the Natl Forrests for the Spring Squirrel season.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Squirrel and Rabbit hunting - 02/04/20 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jiggamitch
Lake lavon has public corp land I believe. You can go to caddo national grasslands wma.

both of these would be my suggestions. Likely to bump into pigs at either place as well. Take a bow for Lavon pigs.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Squirrel and Rabbit hunting - 02/26/20 09:38 PM

Just a reminder that you need to purchase a use permit for LBJ or any of the public lands.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Squirrel and Rabbit hunting - 02/27/20 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Z
Just a reminder that you need to purchase a use permit for LBJ or any of the public lands.

Not needed for LBJ grasslands. It's not part of the TPWD public hunting permit system. Not all public hunting lands are included in it.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Squirrel and Rabbit hunting - 02/27/20 02:37 AM

I hunt Lake Belton near Ennis. Maybe an hour drive from Frisco. It is a no permit corps lake, and the season is open until the end of March there. It is shotgun only, and you can take squirrel, cottontail, pigs, waterfowl, doves, and I think that is it. Fairly low traffic area, excellent crappie fishing too. Seasonal good sandbass.

When I still had a pickup, I used to park right off 287 at the Mustang Creek bridge. I only hunt small game down there and catch crappie. Crappie bite in that creek is year round believe it or not.

You'll see some evidence of humans down there but likely won't see any people. Further you get from the bridge, the better.

There are some official parking areas down there but I don't remember directions. I only know how to get there as I go if that makes sense?

When I next go home, I'll get in touch and if you like I will show you how I do it down there. Will be mid March and the crappie will be biting good too. Just save some crappies for the next guy.
Posted By: mickeyhft

Re: Squirrel and Rabbit hunting - 02/27/20 02:00 PM

All those areas sound great. Good job on wanting to get him out in the field, good luck to ya'll!
Posted By: kdub

Re: Squirrel and Rabbit hunting - 02/27/20 05:29 PM

Bardwell not belton^^
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Squirrel and Rabbit hunting - 02/28/20 12:51 AM

Thanks kdub, yes that's Bardwell not Belton.

Too late to edit though.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum