Texas Hunting Forum

DP Trapped coon's numbers 6&7 for this week

Posted By: mikei

DP Trapped coon's numbers 6&7 for this week - 09/06/19 03:44 PM

The DP traps just keep on trapping 'em. These two this morning are the 6th and 7th ones for the week; I may never get control of the population even with 8 DP traps working full time!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: DP Trapped coon's numbers 6&7 for this week - 09/06/19 08:21 PM

What you using for bait?

Re: DP Trapped coon's numbers 6&7 for this week - 09/07/19 01:26 AM

For the traps I set close to my feeders, I use corn. For those I set away from the feeders, I use minimarshmellows. These latest two casualties were trapped by corn greed.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: DP Trapped coon's numbers 6&7 for this week - 09/07/19 03:32 AM

Corn is great bait
Keep after them. When you start to get ahead, don't stop, they keep on coming.
Posted By: Woj

Re: DP Trapped coon's numbers 6&7 for this week - 09/07/19 01:02 PM

I have 6 traps, I've put 2 on three different feeders wired to the legs of the feeder. I set them when I arrive at the ranch, and spring them and slide them up the legs of the feeder and hang from a bolt or wire when I leave. (doing this keeps them clean when it rains and out of the mud.). Since March, I've killed 88 with those 6 traps! While the rate of catching has diminished, it certainly has not stopped. I have cameras on all my feeders, and when I see one show up at a feeder where I don't have a trap, I simply take a pair from one feeder, and move it to the new feeder with action. Use corn 100% of the time as bait.

Re: DP Trapped coon's numbers 6&7 for this week - 09/09/19 12:52 PM

Got two more over the weekend, and the game cams are showing a marked decrease in the visitations around the target feeder that was covered up. Haven't caught them all by any means, but appear to have put enough pressure on them for them to relocate. But no sign of them at my other feeders, so far, so I don't know where they've gone!.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: DP Trapped coon's numbers 6&7 for this week - 09/09/19 11:23 PM

You will keep the numbers in check if you do it year round. You will see a lot less of them in your trail cam pics after a year of trapping. I have trapped year round now for 7+ yrs and I do not see many coons in my TC pics now days. The only time a see a few is after a big rain and the creeks run into the river. The coons move up the creeks and trap them out when I see them. Last fall and into winter I did not trap for about 3 months and we had a lot of rain. In Jan I started trapping and caught a lot of coons. Last year I caught 27 coons and year to date today I caught 36 so far. In 2017 I caught 40 and 15 in 2016 and 22 in 2015.
If you keep after them you will keep the numbers in check. If your neighbors are trapping it helps a lot more. My neighbor trapped for a while and you can tell by the low numbers those years. The years he does not trap my numbers go up. I run about 5 taps right now.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum