Texas Hunting Forum

Kerr County Kitty

Posted By: mikei

Kerr County Kitty - 05/19/19 12:25 PM

I"m a bit skeptical about the mountain lion stories we keep hearing, but this one seems like it may be legit. I can't get a date for the photograph, so who knows?

BEWARE: Spotted in Kerr County. This lion was bagged in the Garven Store area recently. Reports of another big cat, in the last week, spotted in the Camp Meeting Creek area near Ranchero Rd. and as far West as Hwy 27. Livestock carcasses have been discovered in the area. These predators roam well over 25 mile radius. Stay alert folks. If you see one contact the Kerr County Game Warden. https://tpwd.texas.gov/warden/index.phtml?county=Kerr

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Kerr County Kitty - 05/19/19 03:47 PM

Information from Texas Bowhunter? http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732019

Looks like a good-sized cat, but skinny boy is standing several feet behind the cat which makes it look a lot bigger. I am surprised that there aren't more pics.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Kerr County Kitty - 05/19/19 03:48 PM

popcorn
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Kerr County Kitty - 05/20/19 05:56 PM

That picture is almost making as many rounds as the lion dragging that buck by the feeder.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Kerr County Kitty - 05/21/19 04:21 PM

cat territory 10 square miles to 300 plus, males tend to have larger area
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Kerr County Kitty - 05/29/19 05:25 PM

I have driven through Kerr county a couple times in the last week. Deliver to the Lowe's out there in Kerrville. It's beautiful country there, heart of the hill country. Does not surprise me one bit there are mountain lions.

I have seen more roadkill deer out that way in the last week than I have seen in Texas in a month, and I drive through East Texas regularly. I'd like to find a spot to hunt around kerrville smile

Re: Kerr County Kitty - 05/30/19 11:42 AM

Next time I am out that way I'll get some poctures of the terrain.

People seem to forget how big our state really is, and how much the landscape varies. There are still parts of Texas that you can't even put down a helicopter or get an ATV or dirt bike into, only accessible on horseback and on foot.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Kerr County Kitty - 05/30/19 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by regularguy11B

People seem to forget how big our state really is, and how much the landscape varies. There are still parts of Texas that you can't even put down a helicopter or get an ATV or dirt bike into, only accessible on horseback and on foot.

But down here, and especially around Kerrville, if there's a hilltop with a view, someone will eventually try to put a house on it. Some folks love to look down on other folks. cool

And mountain lions can have a nice snack when the little foo-foo dogs are let out to go potty. grin

Re: Kerr County Kitty - 05/30/19 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Originally Posted by regularguy11B

But down here, and especially around Kerrville, if there's a hilltop with a view, someone will eventually try to put a house on it. Some folks love to look down on other folks. cool

And mountain lions can have a nice snack when the little foo-foo dogs are let out to go potty. grin

Kerrville does strike me as that kind of place. I started looking for property around there and I did not look long. It's an expensive town. With I-10 running through the middle and being close enough to commute to San Antonio and maybe even Austin, no big surprise I guess.

But that doesn't take much away from the natural beauty of the area. I love driving to Kerrville. But I come in on 84 to 16 to avoid the city. Saves about 2 hours and the country is beautiful.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Kerr County Kitty - 06/26/19 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Black02z28
That picture is almost making as many rounds as the lion dragging that buck by the feeder.

Where?
Posted By: herb_mason

Re: Kerr County Kitty - 08/25/19 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by mikei
I"m a bit skeptical about the mountain lion stories we keep hearing, but this one seems like it may be legit. I can't get a date for the photograph, so who knows?

BEWARE: Spotted in Kerr County. This lion was bagged in the Garven Store area recently. Reports of another big cat, in the last week, spotted in the Camp Meeting Creek area near Ranchero Rd. and as far West as Hwy 27. Livestock carcasses have been discovered in the area. These predators roam well over 25 mile radius. Stay alert folks. If you see one contact the Kerr County Game Warden. https://tpwd.texas.gov/warden/index.phtml?county=Kerr

[Linked Image]

That hangin' cougar looks like a big tommy! I don't imagine cat meat tastes yummy. I would only gun down an attacking lion in self-defense, defense of my dog, defense of loved ones or defense or my farm animals. I like to sport hunt what I like to eat or shoot something that is a pest. I think Texas game authorities should still regulate cats for sport. This animal is an apex predator.
Posted By: herb_mason

Re: Kerr County Kitty - 08/25/19 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by laid over

horseback, burro, mule, llama, camel or pack a_s
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Kerr County Kitty - 08/28/19 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by herb_mason
Originally Posted by mikei

[Linked Image]

That hangin' cougar looks like a big tommy! I don't imagine cat meat tastes yummy. I would only gun down an attacking lion in self-defense, defense of my dog, defense of loved ones or defense or my farm animals. I like to sport hunt what I like to eat or shoot something that is a pest. I think Texas game authorities should still regulate cats for sport. This animal is an apex predator.

According to many out west, cat tastes pretty good.
Posted By: ghostlight

Re: Kerr County Kitty - 08/28/19 05:01 PM

One has to be reminded from time to time just how huge these cats can get
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum