Texas Hunting Forum

Skunks everywhere

Posted By: 603Country

Skunks everywhere - 03/16/19 02:03 PM

Never seen so darn many skunks. They are always on the move in the Spring, but this year it seems they are more active, or more of them. I can smell skunk spray several times per day. Tonight I’ll start a new program of cruising around in the Kubota to look for them, instead of just shooting the ones that come to the house.

At least they aren’t eating my corn...I think.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Skunks everywhere - 03/16/19 02:07 PM

They are so bad right now. I know it’s mating season but I bet I see atleast a dozen plus a day. Almost had one get the dog earlier this week. Thankfully I had him on a lease and we got our butts back inside. If I knew they wouldn’t stink I’d set up and shoot every last one that got on my property.
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Skunks everywhere - 03/16/19 04:52 PM

About a couple weeks ago a skunk sprayed on my porch and war was declared. I put out a couple of live traps. So far 4 coons, 3 skunks, 2 possums and 1 house cat. All shot but the house cat. It might be feral but might be my neighbor??? One night I had a coon and skunk in the same trap. That is the first time I ever caught two at once. I should have taken a photo...the poor coon was trying his best to find a way out and the skunk was biting at his tail at every turn.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Skunks everywhere - 03/16/19 04:59 PM

Kill 'em all. The quail will thank you.

I know I'm jinxing myself, but my dogs are going on 7 and 6 years old. Except for one close call, neither has ever been hit. We too are smelling them several mornings a week before we let the dogs out.
Posted By: DH3

Re: Skunks everywhere - 03/16/19 11:30 PM

Unfortunately, I think they eat corn, also.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MClark

Re: Skunks everywhere - 03/17/19 01:56 AM

I was recently told when shooting a skunk not to shoot it in the head because they carry rabies. The mist from their brains will transmit it.
Is there any truth to this or just BS?
I have shot a few in traps and it was always right between the eyes with a 22LR Remington Yellow Jacket. Still stink but instantly dead..

M
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Skunks everywhere - 03/17/19 02:18 AM

I ‘gunned up’ and cruised the pastures, but found no skunks. I’m disappointed. Tomorrow I think I’ll see if the hollowpoint ammo shoots to the same POI as the Blazer SV. Maybe I’ll switch over to the HPs, since the last skunk took a lot of shootin.

As for where to shoot em, I just take whatever shot they give me. If head shots are bad, I’d like to know.
Posted By: DWADR

Re: Skunks everywhere - 03/17/19 03:24 AM

Those bastards almost ruined our double wide at our lease. We could not even go inside it got so bad. We finally trapped and killed the culprits and put chicken wire around the patio so they could not dig under it again. I really hate those animals!
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Skunks everywhere - 03/18/19 12:12 PM

had them bad last year, not so much yet this year
Posted By: JDP Ranch

Re: Skunks everywhere - 03/18/19 12:32 PM

I was BBQing at my property on Friday night... minding my own business and smoking some wally world peach habanero wings. Damn coyotes start up a ruckus 100 yards away and scare a skunk upwind of me. Ruined the delicious smell of the wings. Smell also got into the travel trailer bang
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Skunks everywhere - 03/18/19 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by JDP Ranch
I was BBQing at my property on Friday night... minding my own business and smoking some wally world peach habanero wings. Damn coyotes start up a ruckus 100 yards away and scare a skunk upwind of me. Ruined the delicious smell of the wings. Smell also got into the travel trailer bang

I hate it when that happens …
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum