The coons just waisting lots of deer protein
Thanks!!
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 02/27/19 02:38 AM

Use corn or protein
You have already attracted them,it is what they came to the feeder for
Posted By: rogerh

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 02/27/19 02:42 AM

They are there for corn that's what I use. On our place it seems like it takes 2 days baiting before it works.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 02/27/19 02:44 AM

Cat food or small marshmallows. Granted they came for corn but they have a lot of that to choose from. They can't resist dry cat food or marshmallows. Cat food is easier to clean out if it gets wet and messy.
Posted By: AXA OUTFITTERS

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 02/27/19 03:15 AM

Great, Thank you all, will try cat food looking to set 17 traps tomorrow morning
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 02/27/19 03:45 AM

That's a lotta pissed off coons. I set them at night and go back in the morning with the .22. Cat food and the multi-colored mini marshmallows. I want them to have a colorful send off.

Good luck.
Posted By: texas2

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 02/27/19 12:12 PM

Dry cat food and fruit loops work pretty good. Think you'll find an increase in quail population after trapping for some time.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 02/27/19 01:02 PM

I continue to take a lot of them with the mini marshmellows; they just can't seem to get enough of them!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 02/27/19 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
Cat food or small marshmallows. Granted they came for corn but they have a lot of that to choose from. They can't resist dry cat food or marshmallows. Cat food is easier to clean out if it gets wet and messy.

This^^^ Dry cat food is all I use.

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 02/27/19 01:48 PM

Thank you all, lets try cat food & marshmellows on others
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 02/28/19 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan

True there is plenty to choose from, but I have caught well over 300 coons on just corn. After about 100 coons I started using corn because the my bait (catfood) was not always in the vehicle that I was in at the time. And to get a little corn from the hopper was handy.
Coons are curious critters. Last year when we had a massive acorn crop we had a six foot circle of corn that was about an inch or better deep in the middle. We still caught coons on a regular basis at those feeders.

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 02/28/19 01:57 AM

Thanks for all the input, this is new to me
Posted By: dawgkllr

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 02/28/19 02:12 PM

I've tried several different baits and the marsh mellows have always worked the best.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 02/28/19 02:18 PM

I’ve tried several things... always go back to corn
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 02/28/19 02:41 PM

Marshmallows work every time. Caught 6 last weekend.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 02/28/19 07:41 PM

Just about any baits will work but like above corn or mini marshmallows work best for me also. I use milo a lot also. If you are in country that has lots of rats and/or fire ants you may have to experiment with other baits. If I use corn the rats will get it out of the traps overnight(if the coons are late getting to the feeder) and do the same with marshmallows. Either rats will get the marshmallows or fire ants can eat them up in a day or two. One thing I have went to that works really well is to stuff a cotton ball under the trigger. I then grind up a can of sardines and put it in a small jar with a lid. Then add some cheap corn oil or water to it to make it runny. Then pour a little of the juice on top of the cotton ball. I have found that it is very difficult for a coon to not trigger the trap when they grab the cotton ball to try and remove it. Rats won't mess with it and fire ants have a difficult time eating the bait up...the scent stays a long time.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 02/28/19 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
Just about any baits will work but like above corn or mini marshmallows work best for me also. I use milo a lot also. If you are in country that has lots of rats and/or fire ants you may have to experiment with other baits. If I use corn the rats will get it out of the traps overnight(if the coons are late getting to the feeder) and do the same with marshmallows. Either rats will get the marshmallows or fire ants can eat them up in a day or two. One thing I have went to that works really well is to stuff a cotton ball under the trigger. I then grind up a can of sardines and put it in a small jar with a lid. Then add some cheap corn oil or water to it to make it runny. Then pour a little of the juice on top of the cotton ball. I have found that it is very difficult for a coon to not trigger the trap when they grab the cotton ball to try and remove it. Rats won't mess with it and fire ants have a difficult time eating the bait up...the scent stays a long time.

I like the idea of a cotton ball saturated with sardine oil; I may have give it a try!
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 02/28/19 10:50 PM

[Linked Image]
I've used fish flavored cat food for a long time, and it's done well for me. I tried marshmallows and ended up with some real sticky messes between the rain and heat, but the cat food seems pretty easy to use and maintain. I keep a one quart plastic milk bottle in my truck with the cat food in it and the small mouth of the bottle makes it easy to add some into the trap. The cat food will last forever sealed up in one of the milk bottles.

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 03/01/19 01:27 AM

Thank you
Posted By: TEXASTRAPPER

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 03/04/19 02:07 AM

Floating catfish food with a shot of fish oil. up
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 03/04/19 02:12 AM

I use peanut butter cookies.
Posted By: jadkins

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 03/05/19 06:51 PM

First time trapping at our place this year a couple weekends ago and we set 15 traps each night with only some corn and protein pellets in each. Trap success just over 50%. Going back again this weekend and may try come marshmellows or some of that coon candy too.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 03/05/19 07:54 PM

I've had pretty good luck with corn, but have also used stale Lucky Charms cereal. The stars, moons, and clovers work pretty well and easy to dump out.

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 03/06/19 01:42 AM

Thanks, started using cat food but will try everything listed above
Posted By: ChrisMorris

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 03/06/19 03:22 AM

Anyone have trouble catching skunks in the dog proofs? Last three sets I have caught 4...don’t want anything to do with them. I have been using dog food for bait.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 03/06/19 10:59 AM

Caught a house cat once that was a lot of fun to get out of there, as I didn't want to kill him. Lots of possums, but never a skunk.

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 03/06/19 07:30 PM

Do you check them ?
Posted By: maximum

Re: Suggestions on Using DP Coon Traps - 03/06/19 07:39 PM

just me- i prefer the dry baits, namely corn and dry cat food with a few drops of
urine around the set if it's not close to a feeder.
the other stuff makes too big of a hard to clean out sticky mess inside the tube
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum