Texas Hunting Forum

Any Tips Appreciated!

Posted By: B Razorback

Any Tips Appreciated! - 01/24/19 04:50 AM

So I'm pretty new to predator hunting. I've shot coyotes while deer hunting before, but never over a call at night. My grandfather gave me his fox pro, but I have no idea what call to use. I want to use cotton tail in distress or jack rabbit in distress, but I have never seen any of them at my friends property! What calls would y'all recommend? Also, I know to always play the wind, but what other tips might y'all have for hunting at night? Thanks for the help! He has 2 black coyotes out there on trail camera, so maybe I can get lucky with a black ghost! I appreciate it!
Posted By: SenkoSamurai

Re: Any Tips Appreciated! - 01/24/19 02:47 PM

Big fan of the cottontail is distress or pup in distress call to start. Lots of good info on youtube as well! Good luck!
Posted By: Okie Newton

Re: Any Tips Appreciated! - 02/12/19 08:22 PM

I have had good luck with lightning jack I believe it is. Woodpecker in distress is supposed to be good for cats, but no luck with it so far.
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: Any Tips Appreciated! - 02/12/19 10:12 PM

i second lightning jack, a more aggressive version of a rabbit in distress.
Posted By: Sirrah243

Re: Any Tips Appreciated! - 02/13/19 04:34 PM

Wind is everything set up with the wind in your face or at a cross. Watch them because they will try to circle down wind and bust you.Cotton tail or Jack rabbit are good but when those two don't produce results try house cat. I don't know why, I'm guessing house cat tastes good to a coyote. call for 15-20 minutes and then change locations, at least a mile away. If it's bob cats you're after stay long, a lot longer those guys are slow to come. After your shot keep calling for a while or even switch to coyote in distress, sometimes there is another one lurking nearby. Good luck and good rifle
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: Any Tips Appreciated! - 02/15/19 04:31 PM

Woodpecker in distress for Bobcats, first time I tried it had a bobcat come in within 15 min
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Any Tips Appreciated! - 02/18/19 01:37 PM

I've seen bobcats take 30+ minutes to slowly walk in, and I've had them charge the call in less than 2 minutes. That all using variants of rabbit in distress. Think about the area you're calling, cats like to stalk through areas where they have a bit more cover. Coyotes aren't afraid to run across an opening. When hunting if you have a critter hang up a few hundred yards out it's good thing to either kill the call or switch to a different call to see if you can pique their interest. Good luck shooting.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Any Tips Appreciated! - 02/26/19 05:57 PM

be out early morning or sundown to listen if there are yotes around, if you don't hear them, find another location
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Any Tips Appreciated! - 02/26/19 07:41 PM

I have written many articles on calling predators, especially coyotes and bobcats and have made eight different "how to" videos and DVD's as well as 8 years of CARNIVORE. The greatest innovation in calling predators in over 50 years is mentioned in "Article in TTHA Magazine" on this forum.
Adios,
Gary
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum