Texas Hunting Forum

Coyote killing question.

Posted By: Roll-Tide

Coyote killing question. - 12/24/18 03:38 AM

No expert by any means.

During deer hunting I have noticed a great increase in coyotes. I’m killing them when I see them. I deer hunt with 6.8, 15 round mag. Which works for everything.

Question.

I was in a tough spot today and missed my first shot. Coyote took off running, I blasted about 6 or 7 more rounds. All missed. My 6.8 has a scope, so it’s a little tough to find after I miss and it’s running. He was zig zagging and going through brush.

Do y’all lead them or how exactly do y’all nail them one the run. ????

Thanks
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Coyote killing question. - 12/24/18 04:24 AM

You have to lead them. You have to lead everything moving. You can do it ambush style, where you hold the crosshairs still in hopes they run into where you are aiming, but you still have to give them some lead when you pull the trigger.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Coyote killing question. - 12/24/18 05:37 PM

You’ve probably noticed that coyotes can almost fly when they are in highest gear.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Coyote killing question. - 12/24/18 05:48 PM

Of coarse you have to lead them just like any moving object

Re: Coyote killing question. - 12/24/18 06:27 PM

I guess it would have been better to ask how much to lead? At full speed.

1 coyote length?
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Coyote killing question. - 12/24/18 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
I guess it would have been better to ask how much to lead? At full speed.

1 coyote length?

It depends on how far away they are and how fast they are running. You’ll have to shoot at enough of them to figure it out for yourself. Like throwing a football.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Coyote killing question. - 12/24/18 06:43 PM

Generally, just put the crosshairs on the front edge of the running coyote. Don’t lead too much. Any hit is good.

Re: Coyote killing question. - 12/24/18 07:25 PM

All my shots are about 100 to 150 yards. 200 absolute max
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Coyote killing question. - 12/24/18 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by maximus_flavius
Generally, just put the crosshairs on the front edge of the running coyote. Don’t lead too much. Any hit is good.

More than 100 yards out, and you will miss him all together.

200 yards, get about half to 3/4 a coyote length of daylight in front of him, with a 6.8.

Re: Coyote killing question. - 12/25/18 12:04 AM

Cost me about 8 dollars to miss that coyote.

Luckily had my AirPods in, listening to Christmas music. To save my hearing
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Coyote killing question. - 12/25/18 02:39 PM

Watch some youtube vids if given the chance. Todd from Huey Outdoors/ Lone Star Boars is the best shot on running hogs and coyotes that I have ever seen. Check out his channel.
Posted By: TX Hitman

Re: Coyote killing question. - 12/27/18 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by maximus_flavius

That’s usually my starting point on hogs and coyotes. Then I judge based off the miss. Have hit animals on the first shot. Have missed them with a 30rd mag. This to me is the most fun.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Coyote killing question. - 12/28/18 12:56 PM

Watch some of the youtube videos for hog hunting and you can get an idea. Double Naught Spy on this forum is pretty good at nailing hogs and has some where he talks about the lead. If you lead a running coyote by just putting it on the front edge of the shoulder and it is really running at 100 yards you have missed
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum