Texas Hunting Forum

Prairie Dog Hunts

Posted By: Mook

Prairie Dog Hunts - 07/25/18 02:11 AM

Any forum members know of any good places/outfitters that don’t break the bank...?
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Prairie Dog Hunts - 07/25/18 04:10 PM

Sagebrush Outfitters, Texline , Texas. we hunted in New Mexico cuz the Texas dogs were all sick. LOTS of critters to shoot at. Jeremy runs a nice hunt. We did the unguided where he gives you a map of the pastures you can hunt, they have numbers. After driving around for a couple hours we finally figured it out. He supplies good shooting benches like the Caldwell swivel ones.

You can do a guided hunt where I guess he drives you to the fields. Its a LOOONNNGGG drive but I think we will go back next year. It might take the place of paying to hunt doves.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Prairie Dog Hunts - 07/28/18 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Sagebrush Outfitters, Texline , Texas. we hunted in New Mexico cuz the Texas dogs were all sick. LOTS of critters to shoot at. Jeremy runs a nice hunt. We did the unguided where he gives you a map of the pastures you can hunt, they have numbers. After driving around for a couple hours we finally figured it out. He supplies good shooting benches like the Caldwell swivel ones.

You can do a guided hunt where I guess he drives you to the fields. Its a LOOONNNGGG drive but I think we will go back next year. It might take the place of paying to hunt doves.
no limit and eat all you want
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Prairie Dog Hunts - 10/01/18 12:32 PM

I hunt with the Pronger Brothers, just out of Stratford...they usually have some prairie dog towns, an old throwback bunkhouse to stay in, or you can stay in town, and the prices are nominal...plus, they want you to shoot any coyotes you come across...just don’t shoot any cattle...prices are nominal.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Prairie Dog Hunts - 10/01/18 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: crapicat
I hunt with the Pronger Brothers, just out of Stratford...they usually have some prairie dog towns, an old throwback bunkhouse to stay in, or you can stay in town, and the prices are nominal...plus, they want you to shoot any coyotes you come across...just don’t shoot any cattle...prices are nominal.

We have hunted with Fred quite a lot, prairie dogs and antelope...…….
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Prairie Dog Hunts - 10/01/18 07:35 PM

I use to live out west in Sidney, Nebraska while working for Cabela's. Do a trip out west and while you are at it, knock on the doors of ranchers/farmers and almost every one of them will let you shoot prairie dogs. I shot so many that I got tired of it. Shot out to 50 with 22LR, 50 to 100 with 17hmr, 100 to 200 17WSM and 200 to 300 with .223 You can shoot farther in some places, but with hunting 1 mile sections with cattle on them, I was on the safe side.

I put a bench in the back of my truck and had the caldwell shooting rest, it was't even fair to them dogs.

Anyone that thinks this is unethical or bad thing to do, remember that if I don't shoot them and give them instant death, the farmer will poison them.....I bet they would choose the lead!

Honestly though, 90% of more of farmers in many areas will let you shoot them. They hate them. Even if they have it leased out, if no one else is out there shooting them, the farmer will tell you to go ahead and hunt.

Northwest Kansas and Northeast Colorado has always been easy to get permission. Texas and Wyoming can be harder with all the leasing of hunting rights. Try to find areas with bad deer habitat and there is less leasing in that area. Anywhere that has water will be leased.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Prairie Dog Hunts - 10/02/18 05:35 AM

Originally Posted By: snake oil
Originally Posted By: crapicat

We have hunted with Fred quite a lot, prairie dogs and antelope...…….

Good to hear! All the Pronger’s are friends of mine...I try to make a couple trips a year to see them. I usually go pheasant hunting with them (25+ years running) as well as prairie dogs and pronghorn. Been using their bulls for at least a decade. Good folks.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Prairie Dog Hunts - 10/02/18 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Pittstate
I use to live out west in Sidney, Nebraska while working for Cabela's. Do a trip out west and while you are at it, knock on the doors of ranchers/farmers and almost every one of them will let you shoot prairie dogs. I shot so many that I got tired of it. Shot out to 50 with 22LR, 50 to 100 with 17hmr, 100 to 200 17WSM and 200 to 300 with .223 You can shoot farther in some places, but with hunting 1 mile sections with cattle on them, I was on the safe side.

I put a bench in the back of my truck and had the caldwell shooting rest, it was't even fair to them dogs.

Anyone that thinks this is unethical or bad thing to do, remember that if I don't shoot them and give them instant death, the farmer will poison them.....I bet they would choose the lead!

Honestly though, 90% of more of farmers in many areas will let you shoot them. They hate them. Even if they have it leased out, if no one else is out there shooting them, the farmer will tell you to go ahead and hunt.

Northwest Kansas and Northeast Colorado has always been easy to get permission. Texas and Wyoming can be harder with all the leasing of hunting rights. Try to find areas with bad deer habitat and there is less leasing in that area. Anywhere that has water will be leased.
now you let the cat out of the bad
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum