Texas Hunting Forum

Beaver and Coyote Kills

Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Beaver and Coyote Kills - 06/16/18 06:35 PM

There is something special about sitting by a small, tranquil lake in the evening time, watching the ducks and egrets, surrounded by clouds of mosquitoes as you wait for the occasional beaver to swim by in range. I had been hunting at the opposite end of this small lake (few acres in size), but seemed to have wiped out the beaver that live on the opposite end. I would see other beaver crossing the lake some 300-400 yards distant, but could not reasonably hope to hit one of their tiny little moving heads at that distance. So I moved to the opposite side of the lake. Here is one example of the beaver action for the night.

I then moved on to the next property and camped out there for a while. I was able to see hogs (what I really enjoy hunting), but they remained about a half mile away on the neighbor's place. What made the night interesting was that the cattle would not stay settled. I figured it was my intrusion and maybe it was, but it was also apparently that one of their own had died a day or two early and was just about ambient temperature, down and bloated. They never moved far from this cow. Also nearby were two baby fawns. I would see their heads peek up above the grass every once in a while when the cattle would come close, but then the heads would disappear below grass level. These would be my first fawns to see for 2018 and I was a bit surprised they had been left so close to a dead cow (about 75 yards away). So I started blowing my rabbit distress call and sure enough those to 'fawns' popped right up and were COYOTES! They were small coyotes, but coyotes. I called to them for quite a while before one finally came to within reasonable range and in a safe direction of fire relative to the cattle...

Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Beaver and Coyote Kills - 06/16/18 11:25 PM

up
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Beaver and Coyote Kills - 06/17/18 09:16 PM

Good job on the beaver, excellent work on getting the coyote!

Keep After 'Em!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Beaver and Coyote Kills - 06/17/18 10:54 PM

up
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Beaver and Coyote Kills - 06/18/18 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
up
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Beaver and Coyote Kills - 06/18/18 07:54 AM

cheers Good job DNS
Posted By: mikei

Re: Beaver and Coyote Kills - 06/18/18 10:24 AM

Waitin' 'em out and takin' 'em out! Good on you, DNS!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Beaver and Coyote Kills - 06/18/18 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: pigplinker
cheers Good job DNS
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum