Texas Hunting Forum

Well, I called something in...

Posted By: DWADR

Well, I called something in... - 05/06/18 05:33 PM

About 50 crows and a hawk. I set up pretty deep in the woods hoping to call n a bobcat my cousin had been seeing in his game camera. I started with baybee cottontail and switched over to nutty nuthatch. About 5 minutes later the trees erupted with crows. They were going crazy and kept swooping down at my caller. A few minutes later a huge hawk showed up. I never saw a bobcat but it was pretty neat watching those crows go crazy.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Well, I called something in... - 05/06/18 11:06 PM

worthless
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Well, I called something in... - 05/07/18 12:21 AM

they will respond to distress calls, never know, cat might have been watching you
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: Well, I called something in... - 05/08/18 07:38 PM

wood pecker in distress*
Posted By: nyalubwe

Re: Well, I called something in... - 05/10/18 12:37 PM

I have called in a number of birds of prey over the years. Funniest was a Cara Cara this spring. I'd just killed a pig late one morning, figured the pig action was over so I cranked up the coyote call- group of coyotes howling sound. Cara Cara came in immediately, figuring the "coyotes" had something....he spotted the pig and dove on it figuring "This must be it!" I had to manually chase him off it! shocked
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Well, I called something in... - 05/11/18 04:22 PM

Did the hawk ever squeal??? Redtail and Harris' hawk will readily come to distress sounds but will not squeal unless they see an approaching predator but are great aerial support when calling.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: DWADR

Re: Well, I called something in... - 05/12/18 12:00 AM

Yes, the hawk was going as crazy as the crows. I should have videoed it but I didn’t want to spook any possible predators coming in. I was in a ground blind with very poor visability.
Posted By: Claysshotgunner

Re: Well, I called something in... - 06/19/18 04:42 AM

I have called in a couple of buzzards before.
Posted By: Ratherbefishing

Re: Well, I called something in... - 06/22/18 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Claysshotgunner
I have called in a couple of buzzards before.

Were you playing dead? I tried it, but it never worked for me.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum