Texas Hunting Forum

Scanning for hogs after dark..

Posted By: Hogz

Scanning for hogs after dark.. - 12/06/17 11:25 PM

I head to Texas once/twice a year to hunt pigs. I recently purchased the Sightmark Photon with an Evola external IR and love it so far. But I was trying to think of a way to scan the areas with out having to keep turning on the scope to scan. I was considering buying a nv monocular to do this for about $200. I also wanted to buy a mini DVR recorder for the photon ($200 more). Then while searching "night vision"on Amazon I found a palm sized camcorder with night vision for $68. I'm sure the Ir on this thing is only good for close range .. I could use my external IR to help reach out and scan areas with the camcorder. It even has digital zoom. I could scan with it and then have it set on a tripod and possibly record the shot. The external IR would already be lighting up the area I would be aiming at.
So, has anyone ever used this sort of thing. Do you think it would work?
I don't want to put out a bunch of money for a thermal or anything like that since I only go down there maybe twice a year.

Just seeing if anyone has ever tried this? Or maybe I'm just crazy and should just spend the money on a monocular..lol

Thanks in advance
Posted By: thaechten

Re: Scanning for hogs after dark.. - 12/11/17 12:00 AM

Me n some buddies smoked 40 hogs with a couple outrigger outdoors red eye predator hunting lights. They weren't spooked by the light on red but when we switched it to white, it was on.

Get em here: https://outriggeroutdoors.com/products/red-eye-100-watt-remote-controlled-led

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Scanning for hogs after dark.. - 12/12/17 04:08 AM

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum