Texas Hunting Forum

seeing lots of owls

Posted By: yotehater

seeing lots of owls - 11/30/17 01:33 PM

I have been seeing a lot more owls this year. I am finding feathers on the ground too. It makes me wonder if coyotes are killing them as they catch a mouse or rabbit in the grass.
I was about to pull the trigger on what I was watching last night but wanted to be sure first. It looked like a coyote taking a dump on this pasture road like they do. Hunched over looking at me occasionally at a later ranged 185 yards. I was looking through the ATN dnv scope on a 300 BLK so holding dead center but wanting to make sure it isn't a pet. Waiting for him to finish and stand for the shot. About that time, he spread his wings and lifted into the air. I was pretty surprised, in my mind it was clearly a coyote taking a poop. Glad I didn't shoot until verifying my target.
Posted By: oaktreeplanter

Re: seeing lots of owls - 11/30/17 01:45 PM

We've been having several Great Horned Owls in our area too. They are big and can kill rabbit sized game with no problem. We also have been seeing almost no rats, mice or rabbits, whereas last year we have small rodents everywhere.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: seeing lots of owls - 11/30/17 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: oaktreeplanter
We've been having several Great Horned Owls in our area too. They are big and can kill rabbit sized game with no problem. We also have been seeing almost no rats, mice or rabbits, whereas last year we have small rodents everywhere.
they will also take cats & small dogs
Posted By: Rob M

Re: seeing lots of owls - 11/30/17 02:29 PM

I had 5 owls flying around my feeder the other night as I sat. One caught a mouse right under the feeder and had they deer hanging up and afraid to come in.
Posted By: breadman

Re: seeing lots of owls - 12/01/17 01:22 AM

watched one take a grey fox out in my yard last year , that was something to see.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: seeing lots of owls - 12/01/17 01:30 AM

I like owls. They have gotten the last 2 kittens my wife drug up to the house. Hawks on the other hand should be a target for any sportsman.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: seeing lots of owls - 12/01/17 02:01 PM

Good job waiting to properly identifying your target before shooting!

Re: seeing lots of owls - 12/01/17 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
I like owls. They have gotten the last 2 kittens my wife drug up to the house. Hawks on the other hand should be a target for any sportsman.
go ahead and shoot one, be sure to post pics
Posted By: yotehater

Re: seeing lots of owls - 12/01/17 03:50 PM

I wish I had recorded it. The movie Mothman came to mind. It was pretty cool watching it take off like that. I never realized they were so huge.
Posted By: a74aggie

Re: seeing lots of owls - 12/02/17 04:29 AM

WOW shocked
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: seeing lots of owls - 12/02/17 11:21 AM

Originally Posted By: colt45

“One?” I’d like to kill every last one.

Re: seeing lots of owls - 12/02/17 09:35 PM

worthless
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: seeing lots of owls - 12/02/17 09:46 PM

worthless
popcorn
Posted By: taterpop

Re: seeing lots of owls - 12/03/17 02:52 AM

I saw one in the road the other night as I went coon hunting,the owl had a 1/2 grown possom in his claws couldn't fly but about five foot at a time but he managed to get his catch off the road.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum