Texas Hunting Forum

good hunt, bad results.

Posted By: bcwhit

good hunt, bad results. - 11/27/17 08:37 PM

I have been calling for the past few years on our lease in carbon TX. Have been able to call up foxes and coons with ease but coyotes have been difficult. This past weekend I was setting in a popup blind bored so it started calling with a mouth call, i would blow the call for 30 seconds and wait a couple minuets. about five minuets in I saw some motion. I get the binoculars up sure enough a coyote about 100 yards out moving my way,so i began to ready myself for a shot. when the coyote broke out of the brush 60 yards away i had noticed that 6-7 others where with him. I let the first coyote get fully into the opening and lip squeaked he stops I shoot down he goes, I pick up another and shoot,down she goes. I pick up a third shoot miss, he makes another opening i shoot down he goes. Now the weirdness starts I look and the fist coyote is back on his feet so i anchor him again. I then look and find the third coyote on his feet and click, empty. while I fumbling around loading the rifle again 2 coyotes that I had shot are back up and moving to the brush. I know that I hit them hard, blood everywhere they went down. Only thing I can think of is that I was using federal fusion 115 I normally shoot 120 sst reloads, in a 6.8 spc, maybe the fusion did not expand.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: good hunt, bad results. - 11/27/17 09:07 PM

The main thing is you took them out..... up
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: good hunt, bad results. - 11/27/17 10:09 PM

Same with hogs, if you don't disrupt the central nervous, they may get up on you. That is just biology physiology.

You don't think the Fed Fusion expanded? What did the carcasses show? SST tends to come apart, but the Fusion should have expanded and most likely did.
Posted By: oaktreeplanter

Re: good hunt, bad results. - 11/29/17 01:56 PM

I think you still had a good hunt cool
Posted By: bcwhit

Re: good hunt, bad results. - 11/29/17 10:29 PM

I recovered only one carcass the one that I shot twice. The entrance and exit hole weren't that much difference. You are correct about CNS shot hit hit the base of the scull and it was over.
Posted By: djs303

Re: good hunt, bad results. - 11/30/17 12:39 AM

I don't think the federal fusion bullets expand very good. I lost a deer with a 7 mm mag fusion bullet where I found a small piece of lung at the shot sight. The deer ran 150 yards without any blood trail and then I found a few small spots in about a 20 yard span, then nothing. Searched for numerous hours and used a k9 and no recovery. That is the only animal that didn't die within 20 yards after being shot with my 7 mm. After that loss, I shot a spike in the head with the fusion bullet and the head remained intact, with a hole between the eyes and in the back of the skull. I was surprised that it didnt destroy the skull. I use SST bullets in several of my rifles and have nothing but great luck with them on any animal that I have shot. I also like the Sierra boattail bullet for hunting. The SST and Sierra bullets will put predators on the ground quickly in my experience. I no longer use the fusion bullets
Posted By: a74aggie

Re: good hunt, bad results. - 12/02/17 04:22 AM

I bet you were scratching your head.....
I shot a Canadian goose once and there he lay, on the water, head down. While my blind buddy and I were high fiveing, the crazy thing raised his head up and off he flew.
Still haven't got over that.....
Posted By: 603Country

Re: good hunt, bad results. - 12/02/17 02:13 PM

Yep, a good hunt. Only one time have I ever had a bunch of coyotes in one group to shoot up. As for bullet performance, the OP’s move to a more frangible bullet looks like a smart one.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum