Texas Hunting Forum

In Praise of Small Game Dogs

Posted By: neal_david50

In Praise of Small Game Dogs - 08/26/17 02:52 PM

It seems that there aren't a lot of posts on here about hunting small game with dogs, so I thought I'd take a minute and brag on my little guy. Tippy is a 10 month old rat terrier who trees squirrels, jumps rabbits, and kills vermin. He is a 13 inch tall, 13lb hunting machine! Hunting small game with dogs is my favorite way to hunt! Anyone else have a dog they use on small game?
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: In Praise of Small Game Dogs - 08/26/17 04:17 PM

I was hoping my Jack Russell would be, but outside the yard there is no control hammer
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: In Praise of Small Game Dogs - 08/26/17 08:57 PM

Looks like Tippy is just waiting for that squirrel to make a false move. "Go ahead, make my day again."
Posted By: rogerh

Re: In Praise of Small Game Dogs - 08/26/17 09:32 PM

Good job Tippy I hate them tree rats. One down many to go.
Posted By: machine73

Re: In Praise of Small Game Dogs - 08/27/17 03:34 AM

I had a few jagdterriers and one, Hilde, was just am amazing girl. I hunted everything with her. She was my girl. I had to put her to sleep last December and it still hurts. Always will inthink. I have a mountain cur girl now. This will be her first full squirrel season.
Posted By: elephantman

Re: In Praise of Small Game Dogs - 09/11/17 03:49 AM

Just started shooting squirrels over my 8 month old jack russel pup. Now he's got it figured out when I grab the gun, I'll post some pics soon!

Re: In Praise of Small Game Dogs - 09/12/17 04:31 PM

Here is my favorite shot of Tippy on tree.
Posted By: North2AK

Re: In Praise of Small Game Dogs - 09/16/17 04:40 AM

Growing up we always had a couple of mountain twists or cuts around. For a while, we even had a small pack of foxhounds. Because of this thread, I just spent an hour looking at first breeders, looks like my labs will be getting a little buddy in the near future.
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: In Praise of Small Game Dogs - 09/16/17 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By: machine73
I had a few jagdterriers and one, Hilde, was just am amazing girl. I hunted everything with her. She was my girl. I had to put her to sleep last December and it still hurts. Always will inthink. I have a mountain cur girl now. This will be her first full squirrel season.
R.I.P.

Re: In Praise of Small Game Dogs - 09/17/17 03:48 AM

Thanks. Miss her a lot.

Re: In Praise of Small Game Dogs - 09/17/17 05:27 PM

I'm glad to hear people talking about small game hunting with dogs. It seems like something of a lost art here in Texas. I had a nice hunt with my rat terrier the other day. It just makes me smile when he starts barking treed on a squirrel!

Re: In Praise of Small Game Dogs - 09/18/17 03:37 AM

I think small game hunting in general is becoming a lost art in Texas.

Re: In Praise of Small Game Dogs - 09/18/17 06:44 PM

machine73, I think you are right. I have nothing against hunting big game, but squirrels and rabbits are where it's at for me!

Re: In Praise of Small Game Dogs - 09/19/17 10:10 AM

Same here. It's a shame a part of our heritage is dying off like that.
Posted By: Dupi

Re: In Praise of Small Game Dogs - 09/23/17 08:57 AM

Nice job Tippy. Been meaning to take my nephew out for squirrel
Posted By: erathar

Re: In Praise of Small Game Dogs - 09/24/17 04:53 AM

Nope. Have always just shot squirrels when I was out and saw them.
Posted By: taterpop

Re: In Praise of Small Game Dogs - 09/27/17 07:29 AM

We had one named bugger and we lived about 5 miles from where we hunted if Bugger saw us get in the truck with a gun and didn't load him he would run behind the truck until we stopped.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: In Praise of Small Game Dogs - 09/27/17 12:52 PM

Great pics. That a boy Tippy! cheers

Re: In Praise of Small Game Dogs - 09/27/17 01:43 PM

If Tippy sees a gun in my hand he starts spinning in circles with excitement! He lives to hunt squirrels! I appreciate all the comments. It good to see people talking about small game dogs!
Posted By: BANDIT_DOC

Re: In Praise of Small Game Dogs - 09/28/17 01:25 AM

Here's my Layla. She isnt the most disciplined dog around and she prefers to babysit the kids but she sure does have a great nose for rabbit.

Re: In Praise of Small Game Dogs - 09/28/17 01:55 PM

Hunting rabbits with beagles is a ton of fun! I would like a brace of beagles in the future. I love listening to those little hounds!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum