Texas Hunting Forum

Shooting coyotes

Posted By: sbushee

Shooting coyotes - 11/22/15 10:49 PM

I shot a coyote last week while hunting at my lease and I sent a pic to the landowner. I thought nothing of it but he recently responded that he was not happy about it. I will definitely abide by his wishes as he owns the land, it's a great lease, and I have only seen two coyotes in 2 years. He told me they eat rodents, baby pigs and dead pigs, which I'm sure they do. I don't mind not shooting coyotes. Has anyone else been asked to not shoot them?
Posted By: Blank

Re: Shooting coyotes - 11/22/15 10:53 PM

Some do, some don't like them. It all depends and usually best to ask first before getting into a mess of trouble. As for badgers, I've never met any land owner who will tolerate them, and they absolutely ruin roads. Normally a "shoot on sight" animal!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Shooting coyotes - 11/22/15 10:54 PM

Never....quite the opposite for me....standing shoot-on-site order.....does he have livestock?

Re: Shooting coyotes - 11/22/15 10:55 PM

There are some cattle on the place but that's it
Posted By: mikeydon

Re: Shooting coyotes - 11/22/15 11:08 PM

Yea i was on a lease down near hebronville,First year there and last,The first day out i seen 6 BIG coyotes,Man my heart was thumping,that evening i told the land owner if it was alright with him,I wouldn't even look at deer if i could call and hunt coyote's,DADGUM you would have thought,WEEEEEEEELL IT WAS NOT A GOOD RESPONSE confused2
Posted By: cattle69

Re: Shooting coyotes - 11/22/15 11:16 PM

I saw 5 in a wheat field last night and shot two pigs to feed the dogs. I will start shooting them during the first contest in January.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Shooting coyotes - 11/22/15 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: sbushee

I guess he's not lost a calf to yotes yet.....with the price of beef...loosing a couple of calves might change his mind....

Re: Shooting coyotes - 11/22/15 11:26 PM

Lol, cattle69 obviously shoots wm

Re: Shooting coyotes - 11/22/15 11:52 PM

Right, I would like to see what guy that leases it for cattle would say. Anyway, I was curious as to y'all's thoughts. Thanks fellas!
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Shooting coyotes - 11/22/15 11:59 PM

about 1 n every 20 I ask permission to hunt coyotes, "THEY DON'T BOTHER ME" is the answer, I can't figure it out.
Posted By: rdh1

Re: Shooting coyotes - 11/23/15 12:26 AM

My land lord would rather me hunt Yotes instead of deer inwhich I did this morning got 2 and misted one
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Shooting coyotes - 11/23/15 07:42 PM

Mine said shoot on sight.
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: Shooting coyotes - 11/23/15 08:20 PM

we're over run with them down here kill 2 and 10 more show up
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Shooting coyotes - 11/23/15 08:24 PM

I've never met a rancher that didn't despise coyotes. But I'm from west Texas.
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Shooting coyotes - 11/23/15 08:28 PM

We kill every one We see. In fact at least once a year our landowner comes out and we kill a bunch as a group.
Posted By: Clay Reid

Re: Shooting coyotes - 11/24/15 03:07 AM

Most likely voted for Obama twice and rooting for Hillary .
Posted By: Espy

Re: Shooting coyotes - 11/24/15 03:53 AM

bang I get asked by ranchers to come hunt them when I have time.
Posted By: Jhop

Re: Shooting coyotes - 11/24/15 03:34 PM

The land owners don't want to hear about coyote sighting without a dead coyote on hand! lol It's a toss up between which is worse them or pigs.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Shooting coyotes - 11/24/15 03:36 PM

That's the dumbest thing iv herd in a while.. but hey its his land...

Ours all have cattle... they get a few calf's a year and your not allowed back if you don't shoot a yote or pig you see
Posted By: Cast

Re: Shooting coyotes - 11/24/15 03:50 PM

He might be a dog lover, as am I, and have a hard time discriminating between yotes and dogs. I will take a yote on sight, kinda got over that.
Posted By: birdman99

Re: Shooting coyotes - 11/27/15 04:25 PM

My landownder said shoot on site and that Llano county will pay $50.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Shooting coyotes - 11/27/15 05:41 PM

Kill. Them. All. Have one on our place that I've glimpsed twice. If he makes a mistake around me again it's going to be lights out, or at least a lot of lead sent in his direction. I've switched to the 25rd mag in the 6.8 which is now in my arms at all times when I'm driving around the place.
Posted By: JTPinTX

Re: Shooting coyotes - 12/03/15 05:47 PM

Around here, even the landowners who don't let people hunt deer or bobcats want you to shoot coyotes. I guess there are a few in every bunch though. Most of the people I call coyotes on will text me and let me know when they see coyotes, so I know where to go kill them at.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Shooting coyotes - 12/03/15 06:32 PM

Once hunted a lease near Jefferson. One of the landowners rule was DO NOT shoot a coyote. He said they cleaned up the dead stuff including cows.
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: Shooting coyotes - 12/06/15 05:20 PM

I know of two different guys who actually FEED the dang things! One of them even buys Ol Roy dog food, smdh. Then he gripes when there's a mangy one snooping around his house. Dumbest dam thing I've ever heard of. I hope the yotes eat their pets.
Posted By: chemdawg

Re: Shooting coyotes - 12/08/15 10:03 PM

I shoot them on sight if possible when I was about 12 i went in the chicken coop and there was on in there i didn't see him and it bit me in the leg i had to go get the rabies shots not fun ever since i shoot them
Posted By: DesertHunting

Re: Shooting coyotes - 12/08/15 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: sbushee

He may change his mind once his calves start missing their tails or all together go missing.

Also, they do more damage on the deer population than most people understand.

I know a land owner that will give you a $100 dollar discount on your deer hunt for every yote you shoot on his place.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum