Texas Hunting Forum

Awesome Smoked Hog Ham

Posted By: D-Box

Awesome Smoked Hog Ham - 11/16/15 05:53 AM

I'm new to hog hunting, and deer hunting too for that matter, but love to cook on the smoker. I killed my 4th last week, and after fine tuning my approach based off information from various sources, the smoked hams turned out better ever so I thought I'd share what's working for me. I got 8lbs of pulled pork from two hams from a 125lb bore.

- Remove fat and most silver skin with a fillet knife
- Inject with Tony Kachery's Cajun butter flavor, half jar in each ham (need to learn how to make this, it's pricy...)
- mix your favorite rub with veg oil and spread on hams. I use coarse ground pepper and coarse sea salt plus whatever else I feel like throwing in.
- Smoke with mesquite for 3 hours. Temp was about 150 this time, but don't need much heat since it's just about the smoke.
- Double wrap with heavy duty aluminum foil, to keep moisture in and bake in oven at 235 until internal temp gets to 180 and keep it there for one hour (I turned off the oven 30 min after it reached 180 and left it in for another 30) Oven cook time was about 7 hours. I found a very technical article that explained that 180 for one hour breaks down all the tough connecting tissue and makes any hog meat tender.
- let it cool, then pull the pork apart by hand. (This is better than slicing because the rub spices get all over your fingers and spread throughout the meat.
- Keep the juice in the pan, and store meat with some juice in the container with it.

Even a 100+ lb bore can be very tender if you do it this way. My whole family loves this stuff and I can't get enough hogs now.
Posted By: RangerRick

Re: Awesome Smoked Hog Ham - 11/16/15 11:10 AM

When we eat? food
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Awesome Smoked Hog Ham - 11/16/15 01:06 PM

welcome ta texasHF cheers grillen & chillen... Edit: My bro has several reciepies he uses for deer jerky, 2cents i used one ta make some hog jerky cheers flag
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Awesome Smoked Hog Ham - 11/16/15 01:14 PM

Thanks for the recipe going I try this this winter
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Awesome Smoked Hog Ham - 11/16/15 06:43 PM

I will mix the rub with brown sugar, add some meat tenderizer in the injection along with sweet bbq sauce.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Awesome Smoked Hog Ham - 11/16/15 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: D-Box
I'm new to hog hunting, and deer hunting too for that matter, but love to cook on the smoker. I killed my 4th last week, and after fine tuning my approach based off information from various sources, the smoked hams turned out better ever so I thought I'd share what's working for me. I got 8lbs of pulled pork from two hams from a 125lb bore.

- Inject with Tony Kachery's Cajun butter flavor, half jar in each ham (need to learn how to make this, it's pricy...)
- mix your favorite rub with veg oil and spread on hams. I use coarse ground pepper and coarse sea salt plus whatever else I feel like throwing in.
- Smoke with mesquite for 3 hours. Temp was about 150 this time, but don't need much heat since it's just about the smoke.
- Double wrap with heavy duty aluminum foil, to keep moisture in and bake in oven at 235 until internal temp gets to 180 and keep it there for one hour (I turned off the oven 30 min after it reached 180 and left it in for another 30) Oven cook time was about 7 hours. I found a very technical article that explained that 180 for one hour breaks down all the tough connecting tissue and makes any hog meat tender.
- let it cool, then pull the pork apart by hand. (This is better than slicing because the rub spices get all over your fingers and spread throughout the meat.
- Keep the juice in the pan, and store meat with some juice in the container with it.

Even a 100+ lb bore can be very tender if you do it this way. My whole family loves this stuff and I can't get enough hogs now.

low and slow - you got it down! you wrote my method exactly!
We even did hog ribs this way - we'll never let a single hog morsel go to waste again! never any leftovers!
Welcome to the forum, and hogs!
Posted By: Cast

Re: Awesome Smoked Hog Ham - 11/16/15 07:00 PM

Try dark brown sugar in the rub.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Awesome Smoked Hog Ham - 11/16/15 07:07 PM

worthless
Posted By: D-Box

Re: Awesome Smoked Hog Ham - 11/16/15 10:28 PM

I haven't put any brown sugar in the rub yet, but I'll give that a try next time.

Ok, here are some pics...

Posted By: Central texas

Re: Awesome Smoked Hog Ham - 11/16/15 10:30 PM

Yum , yum , yum
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Awesome Smoked Hog Ham - 11/17/15 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Central texas
Yum , yum , yum
Posted By: DrifterAT

Re: Awesome Smoked Hog Ham - 11/17/15 08:37 PM

I like the 180 Temp for an hour. I haven't smoked a pig in a long time but I'm overdue smile. I use a crock pot for the hams or make carnitas from the back straps.
Posted By: 240z

Re: Awesome Smoked Hog Ham - 11/20/15 12:38 AM

Smoked feral hog is the best. Those guys that shoot'em, and let them lay don't know what they're missing!,,
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Awesome Smoked Hog Ham - 11/20/15 02:43 AM

Maybe it's just me, but it looks a little dry. I make up salt water and inject it hourly...keeps it moist. I also generally push for 195 - 200. The meat breaks down at different points from animal to animal.

Thanks for the recipe and welcome to the forum! cheers

welcome
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Awesome Smoked Hog Ham - 11/21/15 10:34 AM

Originally Posted By: D-Box

welcome to the forum..thanks for posting
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum