Texas Hunting Forum

Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County

Posted By: drqtn

Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County - 11/10/15 06:07 AM

I've been hunting hogs at night on a weekly basis for several months now. I've read that you need to notify the local game warden when you night hunt but I've never done it. Wanted to see what you guys do. Been lucky so far with no encounters with the wardens but don't want to get in trouble. I'm in Hunt County on my own property and could use some advice...
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County - 11/10/15 07:36 AM

I never have in all the places we've spot lighted for pigs. I've been told to call the game warden or sheriff to let them know. It's better than them getting a call and having to come out in the middle of the night. Then they aren't going to be happy. But nobody has ever called the authorities on us. We're all legal so them showing up would just be time lost from hunting.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County - 11/10/15 12:45 PM

It's more of a courtesy thing to my local warden. I don't want him to have to get up at 2a.m. to drive out to my place. If he wants to check us he can swing by on his way home and not worry about the calls later that night.

You don't legally have to call a warden to spot light hogs on your place.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County - 11/10/15 01:10 PM

Since I started hunting my place in Montague County in 2008, I have never seen the GW and I have never called him, despite now hunting multiple properties in the county and even holding night shoots at my place.

Hunted a property in Bosque County and the landowner suggested we contact the GW. Saw him on the square later that day and we introduced ourselves. He was certainly courteous, but based on his reaction and lack of questions, he really seemed to have no real interest.

Nothing wrong with notifying, but I probably won't bother again unless I end up hunting some place close to a rural neighborhood or such.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County - 11/10/15 02:29 PM

I have done a lot of night hunting for pigs in the past and asked our game warden this same question. He said as a courtesy, to call or text him to let him know where you will be spot lighting or night hunting, especially during deer season. He said sometimes people will report spot lights at night or suspicious activity if seen, and it does help if they get a call in about it. But legally, you do not HAVE to call it in for night hunting. But remember, you can not hunt deer at night, so don't do anything foolish that a GW could assume you are hunting game animals. I want to keep our game warden on my side, and know him personally. I will contact him when we do this.
Posted By: IamMr2

Re: Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County - 11/10/15 03:16 PM

It is a courtesy and may help prevent misadventures.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County - 11/10/15 03:53 PM

I do sometimes. Always during deer season
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County - 11/10/15 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: IamMr2
It is a courtesy and may help prevent misadventures.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County - 11/10/15 06:29 PM

I did it once. I got an answering machine and left a message describing where we'd be hunting. I never heard anything back, and I've never seen the game warden. Some of the neighbors say he's a nice guy, but I haven't bothered to call again. We hunt pretty far back on about 700 wooded acres, and we occasionally hear other shots at night, so I suspect he'd be pretty dang busy if he tried to check out all the shooting that went on after sundown.

Of course, I always get a hunting license so I don't worry if I should happen to meet up with the warden. But I don't call any more.
Posted By: papa45

Re: Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County - 11/10/15 07:37 PM

Yes.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County - 11/10/15 08:57 PM

If you've never seen the Game Warden on your place before, leave the front gate open on opening morning of any season. He'll stop by and introduce himself.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County - 11/10/15 09:26 PM

Always.
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County - 11/11/15 04:59 PM

During deer season is the only time I call her.She knows us, and is really a great person, but break the law and she'll have you by the short hairs.
Posted By: dogdown23

Re: Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County - 11/12/15 01:10 AM

I will when I'm hunting varmint contests. Sometimes I'll call GWs in 3 or 4 counties to give them the heads up. We cover a lot of ground.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County - 11/12/15 05:49 AM

I always text him and tell him to drop by if he is out and about.
Posted By: huntindude

Re: Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County - 11/12/15 01:59 PM

In college, I was with a grad student doing spotlight checks on woodcocks, when a game warden showed up. The grad student told me that he usually calls before hand but he didnt that night. The GW seemed pissed. He didnt say we had to call, but we understood him quite clear. Call the GW.
Posted By: Birdshot101

Re: Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County - 11/12/15 09:14 PM

Always call during deer season but thats it.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County - 11/13/15 02:47 PM

Usually no call but....
I only hunt hogs at night.
I don't use spotlights and am usually deep in my own or another family member's property.
I also stop hunting pigs a few weeks before deer season as a courtesy to my deer hunters.
I usually pick up a little later in the season though.

I live in the country and MOST of if not all my neighbors have guns and shoot....a lot!

We had some poacher problems a couple of years ago and again a few weeks ago.
In the most recent incident, the GW caught the perps elbow deep in a pig they were cleaning that they had just shot from the road.
I have met and talked to the local GW and she is a good no BS person.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County - 11/13/15 03:24 PM

Every time.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County - 11/13/15 03:50 PM

No. Where I hunt the odds of someone calling a warden are almost zero. I have seen one in 30 years and that was opening weekend of dove in 2002.
Posted By: Etex

Re: Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County - 11/13/15 07:34 PM

Always because he asked me to and is a nice guy
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County - 11/13/15 07:50 PM

Nope
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County - 11/14/15 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Etex
Always because he asked me to and is a nice guy

If I met up with the local warden and he asked me to call when I was hunting at night, I would happily comply.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County - 11/14/15 02:09 PM

I call Matt or I call the SO and have them relay a message to him. This way he knows I'm out there and if a call comes in about a spotlight he doesn't have to worry. If a call comes in about lights working and I haven't called he knows we have a problem. Matt's a good man and I don't want to make his job any tougher than it already is. He's the best game warden we've had in years, I got along fine with Wayne but he definitely wasn't a people person.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Do you notify the GW when you night hunt? - especially Hunt County - 11/14/15 04:57 PM

Only when going poacher hunting.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum