Texas Hunting Forum

Found a new way to miss

Posted By: syncerus

Found a new way to miss - 10/30/15 02:35 PM

So, last night I had all of my snazzy nv gear, suppressor, expensive mono metal bullet ammo, etc. and was generally ready to lower the boom on some hogs. I had a pig walk up from the unexpected direction, to the "blind side" of the blind. The wind was swirling and he got to within 15 or 20 feet. He moved into view and I was sure that he'd wind me in the swirling air. He wasn't a large hog, maybe 80 libs or so, but it was time to shoot, so I took aim at his neck and fired. He took off like the proverbial bat out of you know where, much to my surprise. The range was under 10 yards.

The only think I can figure out is that the NV gear is raised about 2.5 - 3.0 inches above the bore. At short, short, short ranges like that the bullet was probably traveling 2.5" below the line of sight, and he wasn't that big of a pig. I looked extensively but there was no blood, etc. I had verified zero at 100 yards a couple of weeks ago, so I don't believe it to be a scope issue. Anyway, if I had held to the point of the shoulder, I'd have a pig in the cooler.

So, I found a way to miss a pig with a rifle at slingshot distance. I guess we live and we learn. Of course, it appears that some of us learn faster than than others.
Posted By: wtjim

Re: Found a new way to miss - 10/30/15 02:51 PM

Shoot it in all your gear simulating same scenario and see where you're POI is...
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: Found a new way to miss - 10/30/15 03:17 PM

you probably got excited and pulled the trigger 'down'
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Found a new way to miss - 10/30/15 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: cabosandinh
you probably got excited and pulled the trigger 'down'

You know that wouldn't surprise me. Combined with the line of sight / line of flight difference and maybe a slightly low hold on the neck, that would be enough to do it.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Found a new way to miss - 10/30/15 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: syncerus
...so I took aim at his neck and fired. ....The range was under 10 yards.
The only think I can figure out is that the NV gear is raised about 2.5 - 3.0 inches above the bore. At short, short, short ranges like that the bullet was probably traveling 2.5" below the line of sight, ...

probably grazed bottom of neck - not lethal nor blood drawing.
My brother missed a bobcat right under deer-blind that same way.
Yes, when up close, gotta compensate for scope-height.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum